Spices - St. Thomas

Denali2003

4 hours ago, Ms411 said:

Waterfront Trading on the Waterfront on St Thomas has their own line of spice blends.

Hmm, that's good to know.  Only walked by the place in the past.  Usually avoid going into these souvenir type store with over priced trinkets.

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

Hmm, that's good to know.  Only walked by the place in the past.  Usually avoid going into these souvenir type store with over priced trinkets.

I didn't know St. Thomas had their own brand of spices.  I'm assuming you can only buy them on St. Thomas.  Is it a spice store or a "tourist trap" store?  My husband & I like to buy locally made items while on vacation.  

Most people in the Virgin Islands use fresh herbs and peppers to season their food. Many use Goya Adobo and/or sofrito which are available at all the grocery stores.

Bush tea is a local product which is an herb tea that is purported to have health benefits. Since many residents grow their own, one lady dries them so they can pass customs. Bay Rum and Soursop are popular. The purported health benefits are printed on the package. Teas sold at Waterfront Trading, too.

The West Indies Bay Rum factory was damaged during the storm and I don't know that they'll ever reopen. They had great products.

The big thing now is local beers and vodkas. L eatherback beer is made on St Croix and is sold in cans. Good souvenir if you drove to your port.