DINING ROOM DRESS CODE

obnurse

Hi Fellow Cruisers!

We're sailing Carnival Inspiration in July. We're new to Carnival and I would like to know what is appropriate for my 18 year old son. He likes those Cargo-style pants (not jeans) with the bulky pockets on the sides....I think that's too casual for the dining room. He has a nice suit for formal night, so my concern is just regular dinner nights. Those of you with teenaged boys.....what do you suggest???

kc

Welcome to Carnival and I hope you enjoy your cruise. As far as your dining room attire question I will suggest this. Go with your own instincts. This topic tends to be very divided and you are sure to get some interesting responses.

carnival.jpg

Tony

2004 Legend March 28th

2003 Paradise

2002 Paradise

2000 Destiny

1999 Fascination

1998 Fantasy

I agree with Carnivalcruisejunkie - You will see all kinds of different dress in the dining room so just go with what is comfortable for you. I've seen a lot worse than those cargo pants. When in July are you on the Inspiration? We're on the July 25 sailing.

Terri

Skyward - 1989

Carnivale - 1991

Holiday - 1994

Fantasy - 1998

Century - 2002

Century - 2003

Inspiration - 7/04

Century - 9/04

Coral Princess 3/05

Tony,

Thanks for the warm welcome! We can not wait! I guess I want my 18 year old to look neat without looking nerdy!! icon_wink.gif

Terry,

I'll let you know how it is!! I KNOW it's going to be awesome! We like nothing better than floating on the ocean!

Cargo pants with a polo shirt or oxford shirt would be just fine for your teenage son. We cruised on the Fascination last year and was surprised at the number of people in jeans and even dress shorts on men...and it was totally fine!

As the mother of two teenaged boys, I think if they're comfortable, everyone will enjoy the trip so much more!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;5;10;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Fascination 5/12/03

Does he own any Dockers? Or anything similiar? Cargo pants, in my opinion, are 'way too, uh, casual. As to shorts in the dining room, I've never seen this except at breakfast and lunch. Docker-type pants with button down or collared polo shirts would be fine. At his age, he's a young man, not a child, and I'm sure he would want to be dressed appropriately. icon_smile.gif

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

Is there a dress code for the dining room?

Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit. Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

©Carnival Cruise Lines 2004. All rights reserved.

Last year, a gentleman at our table showed up for dinner on formal night wearing a tropical print shirt and linen shorts...he thought the formal night was the following night. But it was fine...certainly no one at our table was offended, and we were not about to make him feel more uncomfortable than he already did!

Frankly, I think those who stress out about what others wear should just relax...that's what cruising is for!

Then be happy that you look great when you check out the pics of you dressed to the nines!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;5;10;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Fascination 5/12/03

obnurse-

Cargo pants are fine, just not cargo shorts. I see them all the time and he will be dressed IMHO above average with a nice shirt attached wearing them on nights that are not formal.

But like Tony said, go with your instincts.

Before our first cruise I bought some shorts to wear that I really didn't like but were "nicer" than the cargo shorts I wear every day, all summer long. I've never worn them and probably never will. The reality of it all is that I could probably get by with a couple pairs of cargo shorts, a pair of jeans, something nice for formal night, and some decent non-jean kind of pants and a similar shirt. Thats it. Of course I bring ten times that many clothes but other than formal night I really don't need to be concerned about dressing "properly" on Carnival.

Last month on our first Princess cruise we WERE concerned about that as my daughter noted "Its like everyone wants to look cute all the time" I don't think that's a bad thing but it requires more clothes for her.

I always look cute anyway so its no big deal to me icon_wink.gif

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/26/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Carnival Victory 12/19/04

Carnival Miracle 03/13/05

Chris,

I'll bet you DO always look cute! And if you like how you look.....well, that's the most important thing, right? lol. Someone who's comfortable in their own skin, for a change! I love it! BTW....my kid always looks cute, too! icon_wink.gif

kc

Archived