lifejackets

On 8/16/2019 at 7:25 AM, chengkp75 said:

To be totally accurate, the term for all of these is "PFD" or "personal flotation device", and the "big orange thing" is a "Type 1" and a "swim vest" is either a "Type 3 or 4". And, while "Type 1" PFD's are provided for all ages, these are not always "life jackets", as the infant version is more of a head to toe bag than a jacket.

And to the OP's question, as others have said, no the ship provided PFD's are not for use on shore.

Yeah, I did oversimplify a bit.

And I know the difference from having owned a sailboat and dealing with the USCG requirements. 😄

• 1 month later...

As several others have said, speaking as a former lifeguard and swim instructor, do NOT allow children to depend on lifejackets, water-wings, floaties, or similar devices.  When I taught my kids to swim, lesson one was to blow bubbles underwater, number two was that the above devices help you to float, not to swim.  Until they were able to swim unassisted (around three for all of them), they were not allowed to be anywhere they were unable to stand.  They also learned self-rescue techniques.  Keep an eye on your kids in the pool, the lifeguard's responsible for everyone in the pool, you're responsible for your kids only.  Teach them to save themselves, and you won't have to worry as they grow older.