Proof as to why non-disabled are booking cabins for disabled

It seems to me, from reading some of the comments on here, that one of the biggest problems is if someone puts a hold on an HAC and then releases it, or reserves and cancels, the room doesn't show up on the website as HAC any more - that is something that ALL cruiselines should resolve to fix.  This way those that actually need an HAC can find one.  And I do not have a clue how a person who booked a guaranteed rate would get an HAC cabin.  I'm almost 100% positive that someone was looking for an HAC at some point on that cruise.

The other thing that does not help is the cruiselines push people to book HACs when a regular cabin might work.  If someone is cruising with one standard size scooter that they use for bad knees (as an example), no other real health concerns, then a standard cabin would most likely be sufficient.  A party traveling with two scooters are being directed to book an HAC simply because there is no public space to park and charge.

As I stated on a previous comment, we can get by with a standard stateroom (it's a stretch, but we make it work).  However, if a cruiseline is going to deny access to me with my scooter (as Carnival is suggesting they will do), that's a problem.  My scooter will not fit through a standard cabin door.  Rather than denying access to the ship, perhaps they would be better served to have a dedicated scooter storage area.  That would open HAC's to availability to those who need a fully accessible bathroom and the other amenties offered.

On 8/24/2019 at 6:54 PM, Algebralovr said:

Part of the problem is that they don’t have any partly accessible cabins.

i need grab bars in the shower, the higher toilet, and grab bars at the toilet.

Sometimes the step up into the bathroom is no big deal,  other times it is.  

So how do you think you should allocate the accessible rooms?  Do I qualify?  

On my last cruise, I could not get into an accessible cabin, as we had booked it well before I needed the assistance devices.  We used a standard cabin.  I had to get out of my wheelchair to fold it to get through the door of the room.  I can walk around the room, but if I’m having a bad day, I can’t do much more.  

I use a wheelchair part time, a manual that folds.  Some days I can walk, some days I cannot.   To look at me, you would never know it.

We face the same issue,  my sister needs to use a wheelchair majority of the time,  if not seated in wheelchair she is using a walker, due to her disability we never know if she will have a good mental and/or mobility day.  Balance is a issue for her, which requires a shower bench and grab bars.  Regular staterooms are a challenge for her. Having a neurological disability, she needs to think before she acts.  Having a HC cabin on every cruise makes it less stressful, as she does not have to tax her brain.  Encephalitis is not a disability anyone wants to have.    I honestly think cruise lines need to have a Dr fill out a form stating the person needs a handicap room.  In order to get a placard the Dr has to approve it for the person.  This will stop those who take the HC room because they want to have the extra room for the scooter.  

For those of you who have concerns about what others think, please do not worry. Your health is more important than their thoughts. I can walk, that is not an issue, however walking is a form of exertion which creates a serious problem breathing. Thus I use a mobility scooter. Actually, I started out with a two-wheel child's electric scooter with a seat. Loved that little scooter. Got me everyplace. But after my by-pass operation, I got more practical and got a standard small mobility scooter.

The lady I traveled with also required a mobility scooter, and yes we spent many nights in standard cabins. Fortunately, she also carried a small home made step so she could get in and out of the bathroom. And yes, I did help her off the floor a few times. She also had a potentially serious accident in an HC bathroom when her hand / arm slipped between the grab bar and the wall. That time I had to call for help.

Other than sleeping and bathing, we did not spend much time in our cabin. Ruth passed away a few years ago and I dearly miss her. I've been fortunate enough to travel with some other ladies, thus still cruising.

In more recent times, Princess provided a nightly charging for all scooters in standard cabins. They would take the scooter at night and return it in the morning. Since I would require mine in the event of an emergency, I just parked it in the closet and charged it myself. For our up-coming cruise, it will be parked in the closet. I do not know if the nightly charging is a standard practice on Princess. Years ago, on a couple of Celebrity's small ships they had a designated area to park scooters.

Personally, I think it is wonderful that those that can get more enjoyment out of traveling with a mobility scooter is great. However, they should not deprive others that do not have an option. That is the main reason I push enforcing restrictions on the use of the cabins for the disabled. Also, if all cruise lines could offer a charging station to leave the scooters at would relieve much of the problem. Like most of you, I've heard every excuse imaginable for booking HC cabins. Rather than condone the issue, I will leave or change the subject entirely.

At one day and age, I would have agreed with a letter from one's doctor. However, if you do a search on the internet , chances are that you will find a letter that you can purchase. The reason I suggest the placard is due to the fact it is a “legal” document that is more apt to be real, not a product of lies or forged info. Actually, I do travel with a blanket letter regarding my disability and my needs. I mainly use it for airlines (scooter and free medical suitcase). However, that letter, along with a complete list of my prescriptions, was a blessing when I was in an accident. The ship's doctor, doctors in two hospitals and a nursing home thanked me and complimented me for having it. I have the letter up-dated every year, thus it is current. I have not ever had to pay for my letter, however I have heard that many doctors do charge for one.

Since I became handicap, I've had to fill out a form for every cruise I've been on. The form does require that we advise the ship of our special needs. To my recollection, as well as the common needs, they all allow areas for specific needs. Out of the three different forms I recently submitted, one cruise line did write back and asked for more specific info regarding one problem. Do not remember if it was NCL, Carnival or Princess. Regardless it was enlightening.

For any of you that travel to Europe, the placard will usually get your “helper” into the sights free. This is because they do not offer any type of assistance to the disabled. Ruth and I both carried our placards and they only charged one entry which we split. And yes, we did help each other.