Charleston Port Parking

buckeyefrank

We will be going on the Sunshine on 9/2 (we think) out of Charleston.  With the unknown path and impact of Dorian it got me thinking.  Is the port area prone to flooding via rain?  I'm assuming storm surge would be an issue for sure.

It would kind of stink to come back from a cruise to a ruined vehicle.

16 hours ago, buckeyefrank said:

We will be going on the Sunshine on 9/2 (we think) out of Charleston.  With the unknown path and impact of Dorian it got me thinking.  Is the port area prone to flooding via rain?  I'm assuming storm surge would be an issue for sure.

It would kind of stink to come back from a cruise to a ruined vehicle.

I don't know about the port parking area specifically, but yes, certain areas of downtown Charleston (and the cruise port is in the downtown area) are definitely prone to flooding in heavy rain or during extremely high tides.  If heavy rain coincides with high tide then it can be particularly problematic.   

Park at the airport in the garage on at least the second level and take a cab to the port if concerned. Though the surface lot(s) will most likely be safe as well. Will cost more, but you won't have to worry about your car being underwater. (You can also park in one of the city garages on at least the second deck, but I wouldn't leave my car there for more than a day or so unattended 😬)

Edited by TruckerDave

11 hours ago, TruckerDave said:

Park at the airport in the garage on at least the second level and take a cab to the port if concerned. Though the surface lot(s) will most likely be safe as well. Will cost more, but you won't have to worry about your car being underwater. (You can also park in one of the city garages on at least the second deck, but I wouldn't leave my car there for more than a day or so unattended 😬)

DW and i were just talking about possibly parking in a garage but since we will be away for 5 days, your comment males it seem less safe than risking the elements.  The airport is a potential option.

10 hours ago, buckeyefrank said:

DW and i were just talking about possibly parking in a garage but since we will be away for 5 days, your comment males it seem less safe than risking the elements.  The airport is a potential option.

It's just that it is a city garage and there are people coming and going all day. Tourists and locals working or just visiting downtown.  Anyone can just walk in/out of them.  Not trying to scare folks, I use the garages all the time when I go downtown as they are the best (cheapest) parking option downtown in my opinion. The airport is a bit more "controlled" as folks are parking there for a specific reason.  I think the surface lot at the airport is $10 per day (I parked there from Thursday afternoon to about noon on Tuesday earlier this month and i think the total was $50)

1 hour ago, TruckerDave said:

It's just that it is a city garage and there are people coming and going all day. Tourists and locals working or just visiting downtown.  Anyone can just walk in/out of them.  Not trying to scare folks, I use the garages all the time when I go downtown as they are the best (cheapest) parking option downtown in my opinion. The airport is a bit more "controlled" as folks are parking there for a specific reason.  I think the surface lot at the airport is $10 per day (I parked there from Thursday afternoon to about noon on Tuesday earlier this month and i think the total was $50)

I appreciate the information .   i am hesitant to park downtown since its not a secured area.  At tis point we are fully planning on parking at the airport and taking a taxi or uber to the port.  Thanks again for the info

• Like 1