San Basilio Cruise Terminal - Hotel

TheNit

We are arriving by air in Venice the day before our cruise departs from the San Basilio Cruise Terminal in Venice. Seeing that the flight doesn't arrive untl 2 pm, sunset at 6 pm, and the ship stays in Venice the first night, we really don't need to book a hotel near the terminal, dealing with luggage, because we will likely just eat, sleep and go to the ship in the morning. Has anyone just stayed on the mainland and gone to San Basilio the next day? Where would you stay and how would you get to San Basilio? Most posts in this forum are about cruises that leave from the pier for large ships. Also, hotels are a lot more expensive by the pier for basically a good night's sleep.

I've departed twice from San Basilio but can't really answer your question because I would ALWAYS opt to stay in Venice rather than on the mainland. Even after sunset there are plenty of things to see and do; and while Venice isn't vast, it is worth more than just a day of sightseeing.

Should you choose to stay on the mainland, I understand it is somehow possible for land taxis to get to the San Basilio pier. (From reading here and from others on those two departures from San Basilio previously.) Seems to me that with luggage that would be the simplest.

Another alternative would be to stay in Mestre. It's very easy to get from the airport by bus to Mestre. You would then have the option of hopping on the train into Venice if you wanted to see it in the evening - trains run every 5 minutes and take around 10 minutes. You could then pick up a taxi from outside Mestre station the next day. We stayed at the Plaza hotel which was a short walk from the bus station and directly opposite the train station (where taxis wait). Great location and good hotel.