New to MSC - Meraviglia WiFi

OHCruisin

I'm giving MSC a test run, a short cruise on Meraviglia in November.  Looking for some feedback on WiFi.  They have  2g and 4 g packages available.  As it's only 4 nights, I'm thinking 2 should be enough.  I'm not going to use it for much more than checking email, and maybe headline news.  No streaming or anything like that.

Thoughts?  Do you thing 2 will be sufficient?

Thanks in advance!

That's right - our second time in a YC inside;  we were in one on Seaview at the beginning of the month.  I'm not relishing the thought, having experienced one.  However, nothing beats being in YC and I'm happily making the compromise - I'll just spend more time in the Top Sail Lounge drinking champagne - now what's not to like about that!  😃

That sounds ideal to me😃

I was booked in an Aurea suite because all the YC1s disappeared for some reason while I was dithering about booking.  They showed up again this past Friday.  I managed to snag one before they disappeared, while I was on the phone changing!  And the very next day I got an email to bid for an upgrade to the Royal Suite.  Looks like they took them out of circulation to try to upsell them.  In any case, I'm worried that starting out on MSC in YC will spoil me...I'm looking forward to it though.

That's the problem with doing YC - it's very hard to go back to steerage.  Thankfully not every MSC ship has YC, so we don't feel so bad when in a "lower-class" cabin where YC isn't onboard lol.  Though, the way prices are going - especially on the new-builds - we may yet be enjoying our last times in YC.

Edited by Beamafar

2 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

That's the problem with doing YC - it's very hard to go back to steerage. 

We actually opted for an Aurea Duplex Suite instead of a Yacht Club Suite on our last MSC cruise. Price was basically the same, but we opted to sacrifice YC perks in favor of the much bigger and opulent accommodations that the Aurea Duplex Suite provided. In a nutshell, it was the absolute best decision. Our Suite was fantastic. Two decks loft style, 2 bathrooms, separate sleeping quarters, and our very own forward facing deck with hot tub. The list of Aurea perks wasn’t as extensive, and we didn’t have access to the YC area, but the perks that we did have were still wonderful. 

Long story short, there’s life outside of the Yacht Club, and as we experienced, in some cases it’s a better option to bypass it! 😃

Question about WIFI usage during the sailing:

Does the app [or whatever] keep track of your usage so you can check and know how to pace yourself? As opposed to using up your allotted GB's and just cut you off!

Howard

7 minutes ago, HLR said:

Does the app [or whatever] keep track of your usage so you can check and know how to pace yourself? 

You log into the MSC hotspot (https://login.mscwifi.com/hotspotlogin.php ) using the browser on your laptop or mobile device. The usage is displayed on the log-in screen. While still connected you can go back to the log-in screen , refresh and check the usage. We used 4GB with 2 devices and purchased additional 2GB during 7-night cruise on Meraviglia.

5 hours ago, SirWolf said:

You log into the MSC hotspot (https://login.mscwifi.com/hotspotlogin.php ) using the browser on your laptop or mobile device. The usage is displayed on the log-in screen. While still connected you can go back to the log-in screen , refresh and check the usage. We used 4GB with 2 devices and purchased additional 2GB during 7-night cruise on Meraviglia.

Thank you Sir Wolf! This is actually the first time I am getting WiFi as the cost seems very reasonable for a 10 night sailing. [Otherwise I just check email in ports]

Howard

On the Meraviglia now just about in New York.  The wifi has been painfully slow - the worst I've ever had.  It was better when we were still in Europe but terrible in North America. Pictures simply wont load. This is the first time today that cruise critic would actually load. Hopefully it improves.

On the Meraviglia now just about in New York.  The wifi has been painfully slow - the worst I've ever had.  It was better when we were still in Europe but terrible in North America. Pictures simply wont load. This is the first time today that cruise critic would actually load. Hopefully it improves.

Hi all I’m on the meraviglia on November 10th from Miami and would like to get the internet package but I don’t think 2g or 4g is enough, i want to be able to FaceTime my kids at home and my parents whilst away and also go on emails/facebook and download books if i run out lol check news and ny husbands wants to be able to play games when i am getting ready for dinner you know what us women are like lol,i have looked that they are doing unlimited internet on ship and at the new island we are visiting for £104 for 8 days is this worth it or will 4g be enough. Thanks for any help 

17 hours ago, CarolR said:

Hi Carol! I am looking out my office window at the ship right now. Has the speed increased now that you are in "The New World"? Will be boarding tomorrow.

Howard

2 hours ago, Sambarnesuk said:

Hi all I’m on the meraviglia on November 10th from Miami and would like to get the internet package but I don’t think 2g or 4g is enough, i want to be able to FaceTime my kids at home and my parents whilst away and also go on emails/facebook and download books if i run out lol check news and ny husbands wants to be able to play games when i am getting ready for dinner you know what us women are like lol,i have looked that they are doing unlimited internet on ship and at the new island we are visiting for £104 for 8 days is this worth it or will 4g be enough. Thanks for any help 

I agree, 4GB shared with DW was not even enough for a 7-night cruise. Unfortunately MSC didn’t offer Unlimited Internet on their USA website for our Baltic Sea cruise. I learned later that the Unlimited Internet package is limited to 1 device but we were online quite a lot at the same time with 2 devices, especially on days at sea. I have not used FaceTime but highly doubt that the speed supports video and audio in real time.

2 hours ago, HLR said:

Hi Carol! I am looking out my office window at the ship right now. Has the speed increased now that you are in "The New World"? Will be boarding tomorrow.

Howard

Hi Howard. Speed is better right now. It was terrible since we arrived in Canada but seems better now.  Enjoy your cruise.

18 minutes ago, SirWolf said:

I agree, 4GB shared with DW was not even enough for a 7-night cruise. Unfortunately MSC didn’t offer Unlimited Internet on their USA website for our Baltic Sea cruise. I learned later that the Unlimited Internet package is limited to 1 device but we were online quite a lot at the same time with 2 devices, especially on days at sea. I have not used FaceTime but highly doubt that the speed supports video and audio in real time.

We are just finishing up the 18 day crossing from Germany to N.Y.  We purchased the 'unlimited' package but it was limited to 10g so we were careful not to stream video etc and kept it to reading news, Twitter facebook  etc.  The speed was extremely slow so you couldn't do much anyway.