Local Interest

Cruise-y

I'm interested in getting FAR away from the port hubbub with all of the overcrowded beach bars with a direct view of your cruise ship.  That's just not our thing at all (but cheers if that's what you want to do).

We've pre-booked a golf cart to get away and tour the island.  Can anyone suggest a great restaurant with really good local food (jerk, etc.)  We want to see local culture if possible.

Thanks and sorry if this is a repeat

two great restaurants come to mind.  Both in Cockburntown.  The Sandbar, which has a patio over looking the beach and was recently remodeled after a fire a couple of years back. Ran by some sisters who are very friendly.  Good conch fritters and sometime lobster on the menu.

John's Ocean View/Edith's Fish Fry which is on the northern end of town along the beach, West Road Ithink, but just intersects into the main drag along the beach.  Good local seafood and cold Turks Head beers. Locals congregate here.  Love talking about their island. 

For culture/history in addition to the lighthouse, assessible by golf cart, and salt works, there's several local historical places in Cockburntown.  If you drive along the main seaside street (Duke Street or Front Street depending on where you are in town) you'll see these places.  The local library is a good stop too.  Very helpful in giving directions and suggestions.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I just returned from my cruise yesterday and rented a golf cart from Wet Money.  $118.00 total.  Picked it up within the port compound right outside the shopping area.  Jamal was quick to get back to me.  I had to pay up front.  The golf cart was old and at times I wondered if it would make it back but it did get me around and we did have a good time.  They drive on the left side of the road and that was challenging for me but thankfully, we made it around the whole island safe and sound.  Seems like I reserved a couple months in advance but I cannot remember exactly how much in advance. There were two of us and it was a 4 person golf cart.  We actually had to pick up a couple of hitch hikers and bring back to the ship as their tour that the booked separate from the cruise ship left them in town...at their first stop...