2007 Transatlantic?

mgscruiser

Hi all!

I've been on 3 previous cruises (all on RCCL) but the hubby and I are thinking of taking the Golden Princess for their transatlantic cruise in 2007 as a delayed honeymoon. Anyone know when next year's schedule will be out? Has anyone taken this cruise and have advice?

Anything you have to tell me would be greatly appreciated!!

Hi. We did the northern crossing on the Crown Princess a few years ago. We sailed from Copenhagen to New York. The cruise was 16 nights. Ports were Dover, Le Havre, Plymouth, Dublin, Grennock, Reykajvik, Prins Christian Sund (Cruising), Quqortoq, Greenland, and St. John, New Foundland. The cruise was incredible, with the highlight being Greenland. Prins Christian Sund (Greenland) is a 55 mile long fjord that makes Alaska look small. One iceberg and glacier after another. That night we sailed, with an ice pilot, to the small town of Quqortoq. We almost didn't get in due to fog. I've heard that many ships don't make into Quqortoq due to fog. I highly recommend this cruise. The trip across was smooth. Not one rough night. If you want any further info, please let me know.

My wife and I enjoy trans-Atlantics - and the one described immediately above is a winner. We did that one several years ago on the late great Royal Princess.

Depending on itinerary, routing, and time of year, the Atlantic can be like a millpond, or very rough, which can make for an interesting trip.

Isn't it wonderful we have so many choices?

mgs

Gross generalization of course, but Atlantic usually smoother in the spring than the fall - when it is affected by hurricanes going there to die.

Our smoothest crossing was an Eastbound, in the South Atlantic, from Buenos Aires Argentina to Barcelona Spain, also on the late great Royal Princess, back in Mar 98.

One disadvantage of the Eastbound crossing, is losing time as you cross, which is why we prefer Westbound - gaining time.

We had a relatively smooth crossing early last May from Brazil to Senegal on the Royal Princess. I think the north Atlantic is probably rougher most times of the year. Living in coastal New England, I know that a nor'easter can happen at any time. It's not just dying hurricanes but weather crossing the country or coming down from Canada meeting up with a front coming from the south that can cause some pretty nasty weather, particularly out to sea.

There are all kinds of generalities but in reality, rough weather can happen at any time of the year. If you have a choice, take a smaller ship better designed for seas. The Grand-class ships don't handle waves as well as the smaller, older ships due to their design.

Depends on where you're sailing from. North of Cape Cod, MA, the water will be quite cold (it gets to about 60-degrees after a heat wave and you almost always need a sweater to watch 4th of July fireworks on the water) until you cross the Gulf Stream, where it's warmer. The Gulf Stream is the major dynamic in the Atlantic when it comes to water temperatures:

http://oceancurrents.rsmas.miami.edu/atlantic/gulf-stream.html

Archived