Doing Belize on our own? Recommend Caye Caulker?

camorelli

My husband doesn't want to do any long bus rides to get to a tour so most of the popular excursion choices are out.  We're looking to hang out on a pretty beach...somewhere we can lounge lazily with a drink and if one of us wants to go in the water for some near shore snorkeling, we can do that.  Don't think we're looking for a "snorkeling trip" this time.  Would anybody recommend Caye Caulker?  We considered taking Carnival's excursion to St. George's Caye but I kind of like the idea of being able to leave when we want.  After doing some looking around, I think we just take the water taxi to/from Caye Caulker and we have to be mindful of the local vs ship time and be sure to return on time for the tender.  Any recommendations for Caye Caulker?  Thanks.

Well, first of all, you probably won't have a lot of time to lounge lazily with a drink if you go to Caye Caulker.  Edited to add, there's no real place to lounge on the beach except up by the Split and the Lazy Lizard, and even then you have to bring your own towel.

Secondly, you can't just "leave when you want".  Water taxi times are pre set and you must catch the scheduled one at the right time in order to get back to Belize City's tender pier and catch your ship's last tender back to the ship.

If you want to just go to a beach while in Belize, your best bet is a ship excursion, regardless of any other activities included. 

Edited by crewsweeper