Cable Car

dcedar

I would love to do the Cable Car.

How long does it take? How much does it cost? 

Is there anyone in the port offering tours there or do I have to go outside the port?

Should I just take a taxi there myself? What would that cost? 

Is there anything to do right near the cable car in walking distance? 

Does the car go both ways or do you get off at he other end?

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

We did a private tour with Iguana Mama Tours.

We requested the Cable Car as part of it.

Took about 10 Minutes to get up and down.

There are 2 cable cars.

You can spend and hour plus at the top.

We were one of the first off the ship and went right there, Just us going up and down.

Well worth it.

Book it with them as part of the tour or do a private tour.

https://www.iguanamama.com/eat-drink-be-merry-puerto-plata-city-tour.html

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did you take the Eat, Drink and Be Merry tour or set your own schedule? I am trying to find something for the ones that do not want to do the falls, which includes me and three others.The Mama Iguana one looked good. The beaches around this port don't interest me too much.

On 12/26/2019 at 7:03 AM, hokie_fan said:

Did you take the Eat, Drink and Be Merry tour or set your own schedule? I am trying to find something for the ones that do not want to do the falls, which includes me and three others.The Mama Iguana one looked good. The beaches around this port don't interest me too much.

We set our own schedule with the Cable car first. Just my wife & I.

Paid a bit extra but well worth it.

Did the cable car last year. We just took a taxi (minivan). There will be a bunch of them staged at the port when you arrive. Taxi rate to the cable car is $30 for 1 to 5 passengers one way. The cable car is $10/person.

Our taxi driver actually stayed at the facility at the bottom of the mountain and waited for us. A guide met us when we got there. We didn't know there would be guides, but we're glad we had one because there's more at the top of the mountain than we thought. Aside from the replica statue of "Christ the Redeemer," there's several walking paths all around the top. They go back through the jungle to different areas. Very beautiful up there. We had no idea about the walking paths, so that's why we were glad to have the guide. The paths are either paved or gravel with some steps, but not bad. There's also some vendors set up inside the domed building under the statue. One of them came out when we got there and asked if he could take pictures for us with our cameras (phones). He knew how to pose everyone and take pictures in such a way where it looks like you're holding hands with the statue and things like that. They were nice to have when it was all said & done. He just asked that we visit his shop after we walked around the paths, which we did. None of the other vendors bothered us and the one we visited wasn't too aggressive with his sales pitches. His prices were reasonable, and we were even able to haggle a bit.

The guide told us his services were free, but we gave him a well-deserved tip. Our taxi driver was waiting when we came back down the cable car and took us back to the port. All in all, we were at the top for a couple hours I'd say. We'd love to go back and now that we know what's up there, we probably won't bother with a guide next time.

If you go, go early. As soon as you get to port would be a good idea because the later it gets, it gets VERY busy. We were the first ones there for the day and we went up with only 8 of us in the cable car (including our guide and the operator). But when we came down, the car was packed full.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

Did the cable car last year. We just took a taxi (minivan). There will be a bunch of them staged at the port when you arrive. Taxi rate to the cable car is $30 for 1 to 5 passengers one way. The cable car is $10/person.

Our taxi driver actually stayed at the facility at the bottom of the mountain and waited for us. A guide met us when we got there. We didn't know there would be guides, but we're glad we had one because there's more at the top of the mountain than we thought. Aside from the replica statue of "Christ the Redeemer," there's several walking paths all around the top. They go back through the jungle to different areas. Very beautiful up there. We had no idea about the walking paths, so that's why we were glad to have the guide. The paths are either paved or gravel with some steps, but not bad. There's also some vendors set up inside the domed building under the statue. One of them came out when we got there and asked if he could take pictures for us with our cameras (phones). He knew how to pose everyone and take pictures in such a way where it looks like you're holding hands with the statue and things like that. They were nice to have when it was all said & done. He just asked that we visit his shop after we walked around the paths, which we did. None of the other vendors bothered us and the one we visited wasn't too aggressive with his sales pitches. His prices were reasonable, and we were even able to haggle a bit.

The guide told us his services were free, but we gave him a well-deserved tip. Our taxi driver was waiting when we came back down the cable car and took us back to the port. All in all, we were at the top for a couple hours I'd say. We'd love to go back and now that we know what's up there, we probably won't bother with a guide next time.

If you go, go early. As soon as you get to port would be a good idea because the later it gets, it gets VERY busy. We were the first ones there for the day and we went up with only 8 of us in the cable car (including our guide and the operator). But when we came down, the car was packed full.

Thanks for that info! It is exactly what I wanted to hear. Going there in February with my family and did not want to do an organized tour because for the 5 of us, it's really expensive! Plus, some of the kids are too young to do the zipline tours or 27 waterfalls, so I think the cable car via taxi will be perfect. 

• Like 1