Upheaval in Chile

Princess To

Cruise lines hasn’t address  the situation yet. I guess cruises still on it’s up to us cruisers if we want to go or cancel . I’ll be on NCL in February I’m debating if I’ll go or cancel waiting to see what happens. 

Chile's ports are still on the itinerary for our HAL cruise this Winter...subject to change. Our personal experience over the decades goes like this: Cruiseline Headquarters hears of issues at a planned stop. Cruiseship announces as early as possible if they will stop there...or not. Sometimes that can be only weeks, days or hours prior to docking. Longer term pull-out from a port can also happen such as for EGYPT, TUNISIA, UKRAINE, or ISTANBUL etc etc. However, I have never, ever heard of an entire cruise being cancelled due to an issue in just a few planned stops. 

Hi everyone, I operate a tour business in Chile and here are some useful tips/information. I would share my company information however, I believe it is prohibited in this forum 😞

1. The unrest is mainly situated in Valparaiso (Congress is located in Valpo) and in Santiago between Plaza Italia and La Moneda Palace.  We recommend folks avoid Valparaiso and try to book lodging in the following areas in Santiago (Vitacura, Las Condes & north of Las Condes and hotels near the airport)

2. Since the police are tied up with the protests, petty theft is on the rise.  Please lock all of your belongings in the trunk of your rental car and never leave any valuables on a counter/table or leave bags on the floor or unattended.   Also be cautious of people trying to help you with a backpack, bag or with changing a tire.  

3. I've heard that most cruise ships are no longer offering transfers as they do not want to be liable.  Plan ahead and check with your cruise line to see if they are offering transfers.

4. The workers at the Valparaiso and San Antonio ports have joined the national protests before but so far it has not affected any ships from docking.  Please be vigilant on which port your cruise ship will dock or depart from and be sure to communicate this to your transport company.

5. Most of Chile is unaffected by the protests and all the of the central wine regions are open and operating normally. 

6. Lastly, Chile is going through some growing pains and rightly protesting for years of inequalities. As a result the whole country and small businesses in general are suffering.  Support the Chilean people by visiting Chile.  

Edited by fjpoblete
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, fjpoblete said:

Hi everyone, I operate a tour business in Chile and here are some useful tips/information. I would share my company information however, I believe it is prohibited in this forum 😞

1. The unrest is mainly situated in Valparaiso (Congress is located in Valpo) and in Santiago between Plaza Italia and La Moneda Palace.  We recommend folks avoid Valparaiso and try to book lodging in the following areas in Santiago (Vitacura, Las Condes & north of Las Condes and hotels near the airport)

2. Since the police are tied up with the protests, petty theft is on the rise.  Please lock all of your belongings in the trunk of your rental car and never leave any valuables on a counter/table or leave bags on the floor or unattended.   Also be cautious of people trying to help you with a backpack, bag or with changing a tire.  

3. I've heard that most cruise ships are no longer offering transfers as they do not want to be liable.  Plan ahead and check with your cruise line to see if they are offering transfers.

4. The workers at the Valparaiso and San Antonio ports have joined the national protests before but so far it has not affected any ships from docking.  Please be vigilant on which port your cruise ship will dock or depart from and be sure to communicate this to your transport company.

5. Most of Chile is unaffected by the protests and all the of the central wine regions are open and operating normally. 

6. Lastly, Chile is going through some growing pains and rightly protesting for years of inequalities. As a result the whole country and small businesses in general are suffering.  Support the Chilean people by visiting Chile.  

Thanks for your information, as you can imagine it is difficult to disseminate the various media reports as to what is true and what is exaggerated.  I am looking forward to coming back to Chile and my heart goes out to the people of Chile as it undergoes "growing pains". It won't stop me coming, and if I have to take a little extra care about being their it is nothing compared to the upheaval the citizens are experiencing.

Stay safe Fjoblete

• Like 1