They missed the ship and...

DeltaOne

Don - good idea about keeping images on internet mail accounts.

As for the ship no waiting, most if not all itineraries have hours built into their schedules for delays. Last year on CB we intercepted Cubans and were delayed about 2 hours while the Coast Guard came out to take over the situation. We did get back to Fort Lauderdale ontime.

3 years ago while on VOS, there was a medical emergency while we were in Labadee. Well the ship was delayed over an hour and we still did make it to Ocho Rios ontime.

There is no reason why a ship can't wait a bit if people are missing.

When my Mother and I went on a S. American Cruise on the Mercury a few years back, Celebrity took all the passenger's Passports when we checked in. They didn't give them back to us until 17 nights later. Forcing us to go ashore without Passports. I was very upset about this! I asked at the desk if we could have them in port and they said no. I said what if we miss the ship? Thier response "don't miss the ship".

We always carry copies with us now.

I have never been on an X ship where anyone has ever asked for my passport except at check in when look at it.

It must be that certain countries have special rules when customs people come on board and look at passports.

I would surrender mine if I had to but would question the reason for doing so.

Again, copies in your wallet can get stolen so back them up with images on an internet site,, ie, email or aol.

Don

We use a very small keychain USB jump drive for copies of our passports. Hopefully the port agent, a local internet cafe, or the embassy would let us plug in.

As to surrendering passports on the ship, we've had to do that routinely. A priest couldn't get off the ship in one country because he had not gotten a visa attached to his passport. That's the only instance I've heard of a difficulty.

We chuckle that these foreign agents come on board sometimes two days before their port and you see them being wined and dined. Running a cruiseline must be costly in order to get access to certain ports and expeditiously get passengers off on their tours when you do get there.

What a horrific experience. I haven't gone on any cruises yet, I'm scheduled to go in July. I can't imagine anything worse than being stuck in a foreign country with no documentation or money.

I really don't understand how this could happen. Couldn't it have been avoided if they discovered that by doing a simple head count that somebody was missing?

I think it was completely Princess' negligence, and that couple should get more compensation than some dinky onboard credit.

Just my opinion. I'm trying to imagine what a scary experience that would be.:eek:

That is a terrible story. However, my husband has a relative who lives inin Venezuela and I wouldn't even get off the ship after listening to his horror stories.

I'd also not leave the ship without my passport (although it seems some don't have a choice in the matter). About five years ago there was a woman who posted her story about what happened to her when her husband died in a port, and they were in the port without passports. It was a TOTAL nightmare. I don't remember the port, but it was one of those places you really don't want to be spending the night.

This past Oct Summit Mexican Riveria almost missed the boat in Puerto Vallarta. Had booked a tour that originally been offered by Celebrity but then cancelled. Since the tour was returning 1.5 hours before we left I felt safe taking the tour. Our docs said it was not a tender port for us but we got bumped so Celebrtiy had to tender in. Well because there had been a hurrican pass through that week seas were rough. Was on a swimming tour where you were tendered back to the tour boat. Took over an hour. Needless to say we barely made it back and I was having a nervouse breakdown as we could see the Summit as we inched back to the port. I usually never take my credit card with me on swimmg excursions but that time I did. But did I remember to take the Port Authority contact nope:o We actually were not the last people a couple came after us and as we pulled away from the dock we knew there was still one passenger missing. Because the seas were so rough the Captain had to turn the ship to block the the rough seas so we could board. During that time the missing passenger showed up and the crew requested permission to pick her up which the captain declined. During that time we were just circling around waiting for calmer water. The missing passenger hired a boat to take her out and boarded right after us. Scary and made me remember to always pack the port contact and take a sufficient source of money just in case.

There is no reason why a ship can't wait a bit if people are missing.

Can you imagine what some passengers would get up to if the ship was obliged to wait for them?! I've seen people coming out of Carlos and Charlie's on their hands and knees before - if the ship had to wait, they just wouldn't bother to come out!:eek:

A big problem would be defining "a bit". Is it 10 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 2, 3, 5 hours?

I think I prefer the current arrangement, where the ship only waits for ship-sponsored tours. Those Princess passengers would normally have been covered by that plan, except for a very unfortunate (and unusual) set of circumstances.

Lisa

Except the fees the ship is paying to stay docked longer, not to mention the additional time the Pilot is sitting around waiting for the ship to leave among other things.

I would find that these fees are rediculous if that is true. With the amount of money that is brought to these islands, you would think that each cruise line would get a freebee once a week. Without these ships visiting these islands, most would be left with practically nothing.

As far as the ships waiting until all are accounted for. Someone mentioned people that go to the bars could take advantage of this. Well, most would not if you set up a fee for being late (unless it was due to a ship booked excursion). They could do it just like daycare centers do. If you are supposed be either be on the ship or on the tender 30 minutes prior to departure, just charge an addition $10 for each minute late. Most people would not do this.

Archived