Which Santorini Port?

stevendom57

I am booked on the Getaway and will be in Santorini, Greece in September 2020. I am reading Rick Steves book and he says that passengers with NCL excursions tender to the new port whereas other passengers go to the old port. Is that true? I am thinking about getting the Norwegian's Priority Access, which gives me tender priority. If I do this, which port would I be tendered to, old or new? If I go to the new port, which apparently has bus access, will there be non-excursion buses to take me to one of the cities? From there I can figure out what I want to do.

I know, a lot of questions. I am just trying to get a handle on what I want to do for excursions. I appreciate your answers.

Steven

I dont know the answer to your question precisely.I think that only those on a NCL tour will go to the new port the Priority will only get you off quicker at the old port. However we were in Santorini on the Star this year and as platinum members of Latitudes we had no trouble tendering to the port. We were off on one of the first tenders.We had an independently arranged tour and were off and up in the chair lifts without any issues. ( I did worry about it) Getting back on the ship after our tour was horrible. The lines to get on the chairlifts was really long snaking through the narrow streets.When you got down you then had long lines to board the tender with no platinum priority. 

In hindsight we should have taken the NCL tour. 

11 hours ago, stevendom57 said:

I am booked on the Getaway and will be in Santorini, Greece in September 2020. I am reading Rick Steves book and he says that passengers with NCL excursions tender to the new port whereas other passengers go to the old port. Is that true? I am thinking about getting the Norwegian's Priority Access, which gives me tender priority. If I do this, which port would I be tendered to, old or new? If I go to the new port, which apparently has bus access, will there be non-excursion buses to take me to one of the cities? From there I can figure out what I want to do.

I know, a lot of questions. I am just trying to get a handle on what I want to do for excursions. I appreciate your answers.

Steven

We were there this month (Nov) on NCL Spirit from 12 thru 10pm.  They had 2 gangways -1 for people on tour(s) and 1 for independent travels.  While waiting for our tour to leave the PA was on and let people with tender ticket so and so to leave too.  Our tour had our own tender and it came right to the ship for us to get on, the tender for independents travels took them to the port are it is next to the cable cars and the donkey trail, NCL had a section there to receive/send people off but did not see any new building.  If you wish to leave the ship early in my opinion just showing up EARLY to the place that handing out the tickets without have to paid for the privilege. 

Santorini town FILA is on the top of the cliff the only ways to get up is by cable car, walking or riding the donkey and once you get up you probably can find transport for tour(s).  We went to Oia and it had a lot people there even in Nov with 1 ship in port (the weather was not bad) but did not stay around for the sunset.  People said on the other time, with many ships in the place would be so packed &  can't walk or taking picture(s) of the famous Blue Dome churches.  While walking around FILA we saw a pretty sunset just before getting on the cable car to return to the ship.

Hope the information is helpful.  Have a great cruise.

I have not been to Santorini for a few years, but I don't think this has changed.

If you are on an NCL tour then they tender you to a different location (I assume this is what is being referred to as the new port). The only people that go there are those on NCL tours.

Everyone else goes to the bottom of the cable car. That includes people with priority, such as suites, platinum and also the new priority access.

Edited by KeithJenner

We have done this port 4 times now. A ship excursion or priority tender will help getting off the boat but to get back to tender area, most everyone needs to descend from Thira.  The only way to do so is walking/riding a donkey down the path or waiting for the cable car.  No priority for this step and the process can be excruciating  depending on how many ships in port.  

To avoid the lines and crowds altogether we booked Alex boat tours (Independent via trip advisor) one year and had a fantastic day.  The only other option to avoid eventual descent from Thira might be ship excursion for the volcano hike?

All other independent or ship excursions  will end in Thira. Ncl’s excursions give cable car tickets but no skip the line or priority.  I would expect crowds, lines and heat when trying to get down to tender station. We did Akatori and wine tasting via the ship this year. It goes to the other port and then busses from there. Husband and I loved the winery and tour of the ruins (and we don’t even drink wine).  But we went in October so no crowds or waiting for the cable car after excursion dropped us off in Thira. Have also done Oia.. on our own and Oia... via the ship.  Of the four options I had the best day with Alex boat tours. Imo Oia and Thira are crowded clusters.