Laptops?

Vistaguy

I made a deal with my clients, when I first opened my own practice. I'll interrupt my vacation for 20 minutes to avoid their frustration in not being able to reach me or coming back to a case on fire. I've found that, if my clients know that they can reach me, if they really need to, they will only contact me as a very last resort and try to work out the issue. However, if they can't reach me, they are frustrated, upset, and :eek:!

So, I have a very light laptop and I make no apologies for working on my vacation. I'm less stressed, doing some work, next to the pool.

Thanks to everyone for the info on WiFi vs. Cyber Cabin. So, does that mean that WiFi is faster than the connection we used to get at the IC?

We bring our laptop for three main reasons:

- Downloading pictures from camera

- Listening to iTunes music

- An probably the best reason of all, watch a movie while flying down, at airport before return, and durring return flight. We'll get something to eat before the flight, pull out our meal and entertainment, and secreatly gloat at the envious looks we get from fellow passangers.:p

We ALWAYS pack out laptop. We download our didgital pictures to it, play our iTunes, watch movies, send email and write our cruise journal. But in addition we always pack it as a carry on and then we can watch movies or play games on the plane.

Also - if the price of internet is too expensive on the ship - when you are in port you will usually be able to find wireless networks that you can connect to at no charge. That's when we usually do our emailing!

- An probably the best reason of all, watch a movie while flying down, at airport before return, and durring return flight. We'll get something to eat before the flight, pull out our meal and entertainment, and secreatly gloat at the envious looks we get from fellow passangers.

LOL - Those are likely to be looks of pity rather than looks of envy that you get from fellow passengers. After years of lugging laptops with us wherever we traveled, we are now the ones secretly gloating, happy to be free from the burden of one more unnecessary thing to schlep along on vacation. Needing to take a laptop on business trips is bad enough.

With computer access so readily available just about anyplace you go these days, we now find it very easy to leave the laptop at home. On airplanes, we much prefer to read, relax, or take a nap. We have never liked watching movies on a small screen while wearing headsets.

Many people like to keep up with their work while they are on vacation, but for us a vacation is our time for something completely different, a chance to experience a total change from our everyday routine. As the saying goes, different strokes.............

LOL - Those are likely to be looks of pity rather than looks of envy that you get from fellow passengers. After years of lugging laptops with us wherever we traveled, we are now the ones secretly gloating, happy to be free from the burden of one more unnecessary thing to schlep along on vacation. Needing to take a laptop on business trips is bad enough.

With computer access so readily available just about anyplace you go these days, we now find it very easy to leave the laptop at home. On airplanes, we much prefer to read, relax, or take a nap. We have never liked watching movies on a small screen while wearing headsets.

Many people like to keep up with their work while they are on vacation, but for us a vacation is our time for something completely different, a chance to experience a total change from our everyday routine. As the saying goes, different strokes.............

Like you said, different strokes....

We take along the wife's PSP for movies now, beautiful picture on the little screen, and headsets aren't a problem. I like having my laptop, too, and it's not a burden at all to me, keyword there, me. Now that they have WI-FI available, I'll feel better about keeping up. I used to hate being out to sea for months at a time, and not able to get on the internet, so if I can take it with me, I will.

Wraithe

We have used both - I prefer to use the laptop in the cabin, so usually prefer cybercabin if WiFi isnt available in the cabin. However, for whatever reason my laptop refused to work with cybercabin on Mariner and 2 wks ago on Explorer. In the past cybercabin worked fine on Adventure and Serenade.

Since I couldnt get the cybercabin up on Explorer, I used the WiFi service instead. It is much faster than cybercabin, but not as convenient if you have to go find a hot spot. Will Freedom have in cabin WiFi? We have a SlingBox, and it would be great to dial in and get the video feed from home.

Archived