Karaoke

Scubadoc

We love karaoke! Last year on the crown they had it pretty much every night. I’ve been looking at patters for the crown this year and I don’t see it at all. Am I missing something? We are sailing on the Crown again January 16 and sure hope they still have it. Anyone know?

Edited by Scubadoc

I noticed the same thing. Karaoke always seems to have a dedicated tight knit group, sometimes large, sometimes small. Princess' pushes their Voice contest, but the contest is exclusive rather than inclusive like karaoke. Could it be not many drink sales during karaoke, just thinking.

I did the voice last year and actually won which was surprising and so much fun! But we also just like nightly karaoke for the fun, the laughter and the camaraderie. It’s a really important part of our experience. We enjoy it so much more than just sitting at a bar or  watching a show. If they remove it it will probably send us to another cruise line. I sure hope they have it when we go in January 

I was on the Grand Princess over Halloween and they had karaoke 3 or 4 times that week.  They also had Voice of the Ocean.  I tried out, got into the finals but did not win.  I did however, have a great time practicing with the band and hanging out with the other singers.  I hope to do it again next cruise.

I get the sense that while Princess is pushing Voice of the Ocean, karaoke isn't going away.  They might not have it every night, but I believe you could expect to have it 3 or 4 times on a seven day cruise.

Voice of the Ocean is an official partnership with the tv show The  Voice. Early in the cruise you sing at what is basically a karaoke night. The audience votes on you and after 2 nights of voting the top vote getters are invited to be a part of a show on the last nite.  It is often the best attended show in the princess theater the whole cruise! I did it last year (and shockingly won) 😊 and they had to use an  overflow remote video in the explorer lounge so that everyone could see it.

If you are chosen you will meet to rehearse with the band and with a  mentor just like on the TV show. And then you will perform in front of the big crowd with the live band.  On our cruise I think there were eight contestants chosen. Judges sit in chairs just like on the TV show and if they like you they push a button and the chair turns around so they can see you. If more than one judge turns the chair for you you pick which Judge's team you want to be on.  At the end each of the three judges picks their favorite and then the whole audience votes using an electronic device and one of the three becomes "The Voice of the ocean!"

The winner receives a free cruise.  😂  Well we can always dream. You get a nice trophy, a bottle of champagne and a lot of pats on the back for the rest of the cruise. Seriously it is a lot of fun and you meet some wonderful people and will never forget the experience if you get on the stage. Give it a shot!