QM2 WC next week - Gulf and Dubai???

rog747

I should imagine Cunard are having kittens right now and burning the midnight oil as to whether they will allow their flagship to approach the Persian Gulf and UAE on it's World Cruise voyage due to leave next week on 10 Jan sailing down via the Suez.

Will we see the UAE stops getting canned?  And see the ship sail direct from Suez much further south to Thailand thus avoiding the region?
Worrying times for cruise lines operating there.
I'm not on it (We get on in CPT on the way home) but this is a right old time just now.....UK are sending 2 warships to the region now in a protection role

Edited by rog747

I was on a similar cruise some years ago but under different conditions (pirates). With a warship in front of us, Royal Navy Officers on the bridge and Commodore who showed what leadership means, we felt safe.

All one can do at the moment is wait for Cunard's announcement.

• Like 2

I'm afraid the rhetoric has all ramped up a bit today - 

Iran + Hezbollah has publicly advised that it will attack Dubai and Haifa if US retaliates against Iran to this morning's attacks on the US Army bases in Iraq...

QM2 sails in 2 days from SOU via Haifa and Suez to Dubai with calls in Jordan and then on to Muscat

Has Cunard made any statement yet?

Here's a quote from an article titled "Cruise Sector 'Closely Monitoring' Middle East Tensions" posted today on the TTG Media - Travel Industry News website.

Cunard said Queen Mary 2’s 30 January call to Dubai would go ahead as scheduled, adding it was assessing the situation and "taking into account the latest advice from all relevant sources”.

“At this time, Queen Mary 2’s itinerary remains as planned, but should the situation change for any reason then we will contact our guests to let them know," said a spokesperson. "Our guests and crew can be assured that their safety is always our first priority."

• Like 1

Last night we received a response from an earlier email we sent Cunard about Dubai. We’re boarding there Jan 30 and had similar questions as this post. Here is Cunard’s response:

——————————————

We are taking advice from the relevant authorities and should it be necessary to amend the itinerary, please rest assured, we will advise guests as soon as we possibly can.

I hope this information has helped to answer your enquiry and we look forward to welcoming you on board the Queen Mary 2.

Kind regards 

Jeremy

Guest Services 
Cunard Line

———————————————

That’s the latest...for now anyway.  

Sheree