First time Med Cruise Tips

RobinKY

On 1/15/2020 at 11:12 AM, RobinKY said:

Me (48) and SO (46) are looking at Mediterranean cruise either next summer (July-August) or fall (Sept to early Nov).  We have only done Caribbean cruises in the past.  We are just beginning our research and it's overwhelming.  We will not be bringing our kids.  She wants to try MSC or Costa to get the European experience.  Any tips you have?  Mainly about:

• Summer or fall?  Fall seems to be cheaper.
  • If you can try for May.  The weather is in mid 70's; the med sea is very calm almost like a lake.  I have done four med cruises in May
  • Pre-cruise trip stay (Most likely Rome)
  • Lots to see in Rome; if you can spend a few days prior to take in all the wonderful sights. The Hilton at Vatican City is awesome
  • Ships to avoid
  • Best ports and tips on exploring or excursions
  • Venice, going to St Marks SQ and walking all around that area. Santorini and Mykonos in Greek Islands;  absolutely stunning places.  I have lots more but these are a few
  • Safety tips while in port
  • Currency
  • Most places take credit cards;  however you can get some euro's at atm machines for places that take cash only
  • Drink packages (MSC offers one but it's only on drinks up to $6 - maybe drinks are cheaper on Med cruises)
  • Look for sales that offer drink packages
  • Dining - we are use to American food.
  • I would choose an American line like Royal Caribbean, NCL, Carnival, Princess;  they will always have american food.  
  • Items to pack
  • Don"t overpack.  Princess ships; if you were to book them; has self serve washer and dryers on almost all decks
  • Communication back home.  We both have teen kids
  • Other

Hope these tips help.