First time Med Cruise Tips

RobinKY

Me (48) and SO (46) are looking at Mediterranean cruise either next summer (July-August) or fall (Sept to early Nov).  We have only done Caribbean cruises in the past.  We are just beginning our research and it's overwhelming.  We will not be bringing our kids.  She wants to try MSC or Costa to get the European experience.  Any tips you have?  Mainly about:

• Summer or fall?  Fall seems to be cheaper.
  • Pre-cruise trip stay (Most likely Rome)
  • Ships to avoid
  • Best ports and tips on exploring or excursions
  • Safety tips while in port
  • Currency
  • Drink packages (MSC offers one but it's only on drinks up to $6 - maybe drinks are cheaper on Med cruises)
  • Dining - we are use to American food.
  • Items to pack
  • Communication back home.  We both have teen kids
  • Other

4 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

What is it with everyone not wanting to enjoy the fabulous med weather?

What's the matter with everyone?

For me, it's not the weather, it's the crowds and costs. Unless I am going on business (and I have to go), I generally avoid Europe between mid-May and late-August...way too busy, and associated peak pricing. It's so much better in the fall when crowds are down, prices are down, and it's more relaxing. 

Here’s a link to my review of our first Mediterranean cruise back in November 2018. Hopefully the “1st timer” perspective will be helpful. 

Click here: Mediterranean aboard MSC Meraviglia 

We chose to sail in November, party because that’s when we had vacation days and partly because the fares were very inexpensive. It cost us less than sailing in the Caribbean! And the weather was perfect for sightseeing. A bit on the chilly side at times, but a jacket was sufficient to be outdoors comfortably. There were a few days when it was warm enough to use the ship’s outdoor pools and slides (thankfully they were heated).

We chose to sail from Civitavecchia (Rome) and it was a fantastic decision. We loved our pre-cruise stay in Rome. 

We also chose MSC for this cruise and we loved that decision as well. The ship was beautiful and full of amenities, and the fact that we were not on an American cruise line, but instead on an Italian cruise line traveling amongst a very international clientele, added to the wonderful experience. We were one of the very (VERY) few Americans onboard. 

If you do choose to sail on MSC, you do need to be open to a very multi-cultural, multi-lingual atmosphere, which for us was an added bonus. After all, we didn’t travel 5,000 miles to experience a watered down, Americanized version of the Mediterranean. Yes, the cuisine and activities deviate from what you may find on American cruise lines, but we enjoyed most of it. We didn’t go hungry, even with some picky eaters in the group. 

Hope the review is helpful! 

Edited by Tapi

2 hours ago, RobinKY said:

To address specifically communication, our phone company (Verizon) worked in Europe for a daily fee. We didn’t use our phones except in Rome though. On the ship, I purchased the most basic internet package which was good social media. We communicated with family and friends back home using mostly WhatsApp and Facebook messenger. 

3 hours ago, DarrenM said:

What is it with everyone not wanting to enjoy the fabulous med weather?

What's the matter with everyone?

What is the matter?  Did you not get enough replies to that question on the other thread?

OP, I recommend getting a copy of Rick Steves Med Cruising guidebook. It will answer most, if not all of your questions. Also read through the Ports of Call forum for your prospective ports.

We prefer to travel through the Med regions in mid spring or fall. It's not so oppressively hot, and as mentioned, less crowded and less expensive. And DO plan for a pre and/or post cruise stay of several days if at all possible.

4 hours ago, RobinKY said:

Me (48) and SO (46) are looking at Mediterranean cruise either next summer (July-August) or fall (Sept to early Nov).  We have only done Caribbean cruises in the past.  We are just beginning our research and it's overwhelming.  We will not be bringing our kids.  She wants to try MSC or Costa to get the European experience.  Any tips you have?  Mainly about:

I've not been on Costa or MSC so can't respond to some of your questions.  Here is my 2 cents on the others:

• Summer or fall?  Fall seems to be cheaper.

Fall is our preferred time for this area.  Weather is generally pretty good. 

• Pre-cruise trip stay (Most likely Rome) 

Pre or post cruise stays are always a terrific idea.  Heck yeah to Rome!  

• Best ports and tips on exploring or excursions

Not sure there are any bad ports.  Just depends on what interests you and what you like to do.   We like "on-our-own" when practical.  A lot of folks recommend private tours over ship's excursions due to price and content  We have done both and tend to agree. 

• Safety tips while in port

Assume that 100% of the time there are several different people competing to steal your wallet, purse, backpack, etc.  Act accordingly.  

• Currency   

We don't bring a whole lot of the local currency.  We use credit cards a lot.  Use ATM if we need additional cash.  

• Items to pack

Comfortable clothes with due regard to on-board dress codes.  Don't worry about styles -- unless you are obsessive about such things, what you wear at home will be just fine.  Note that some churches will require conservative dress meaning little "exposure" for women and long pants for men.  

Set up wifi calling before you leave home.  Use text or email for checking in and routine back & forth with the kids.   Give the kids the ship number in case of real emergencies.  Just make sure they are on the same page on what is a real emergency - haha

• Other

Enjoy! 

To add to the above there is a general misconception about the summer months being too busy.

The busiest period are around the last 2 weeks of july and all of august.

The whole of June and early july is fine and wont be that expensive.

Its that 6 week period above that gets extortionate.

June in most of western Europe is not classed as holiday season. August is.

And the weather in june is usually good but not mad hot.

2 hours ago, DarrenM said:

Of course. Two threads of people whining about the weather being too good.😋

Darren - have you ever lived in a Mediterranean country during the summer months ? If you did, you would realise why July and August are terrible months to visit.  

1 hour ago, DarrenM said:

No. But nobody is living there. We are all visiting for s few hours.

I think that will come as news to several million people who actually thought they live there. Speak for yourself. There are millions more who visit for more than just a few hours. And the duration of the visit does not change the weather there.

Edited by mom says

9 hours ago, DarrenM said:

No. But nobody is living there. We are all visiting for s few hours.  And a few sea days.

The missus can sun bathe all day and I can wander and drink.

What's not to love 

I lived there for 10 years, so do speak from experience.  July and August are terrible months to visit.

16 hours ago, DarrenM said:

To add to the above there is a general misconception about the summer months being too busy.

The busiest period are around the last 2 weeks of july and all of august.

The whole of June and early july is fine and wont be that expensive.

Its that 6 week period above that gets extortionate.

June in most of western Europe is not classed as holiday season. August is.

And the weather in june is usually good but not mad hot.

Darren, I've got some breaking news for you:  In America, the entire period from June (and sometimes even May) through August is holiday season. Our kids are out of school and a lot of us travel to Europe. According to the US Department of Commerce, about 8.2 million Americans traveled to Europe during the months between April and September in 2015. That number has only increased since then, I'm sure. So batten down the hatches, we're coming.

And if you've ever tried to book flights from US to Europe in those months, it is high season and high prices. Actually, as a veteran of years of summer travel and a dozen Med cruises, I can say that airfares and hotel rates sometimes drop in August, depending on destination. Rome is actually cheaper -- presumably because sensible Italians and other Europeans are headed to the beaches. But most Americans don't come to Europe for the beaches. (Secret: we have better beaches at home.)

You havent seen the beaches up the north east coast of england. Stunning. OK its rarely warm but thats not the beaches fault.

With regards to Europe and the holidays, I was of course referring to the those very people.

Germany invade the rest of Eurpoe in August. The Brits invade Europe for 6 weeks in July and August. Sure most of the other countries are similar.

As for you Americans. Your kids need to spend longer in school it seems.

2 hours ago, DarrenM said:

As for you Americans. Your kids need to spend longer in school it seems.

That may be true, but the difference isn't drastic. In Germany, the average school year is 187-190 days. The UK is, what, 195ish? In the US, it's 180, so shorter, but not drastically so. Big difference is, the US stacks its break mostly as one long one (with a shorter break around Christmas/New Years), whereas other parts of the world spread their breaks out. 

Edited by Zach1213

The big difference between Mediterranean countries and the US, is that the US holiday season is spread over 8 to 10 weeks. In the Med, the entire county shuts down for August, and as Darren says, for the latter part of July as well. 

And by shut down, I mean complete shut down.  Factories,  government offices, etc. Even hospitals shut down wards. 

3 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

That may be true, but the difference isn't drastic. In Germany, the average school year is 187-190 days. The UK is, what, 195ish? In the US, it's 180, so shorter, but not drastically so. Big difference is, the US stacks its break mostly as one long one (with a shorter break around Christmas/New Years), whereas other parts of the world spread their breaks out. 

If UK has 195 days vs. US 180 - it is a substantial difference - almost 10%.  To really compare, however the number of instruction hours needs to be considered - this is the primary difference between public and the better private schools.

We would strongly recommend against going in the summer.  The heat, and the crowds, can be oppressive.

We have been to the Med many times.    Usually spring or fall.  Only once did I go in the summer.  My son was in school and I took him for three a three week tour.   Lots of time in Italy.  It was too hot, too many tourists, etc.

If your schedule permits, go in the fall.  Our typical target dates are Sept 10 ish  until the end of Oct.

Travel light.  When we first started to travel with our children when they were older we had a rule...you pack it you carry it.  It worked wonders.

Don't block all your days in Rome for organized tours or specific agendas.  Save some time for simply walking around, getting lost, taking in the sights, watching the locals.   

Try to avoid those restaurants where the menu is written in five languages.  We tend to avoid a restaurant on the main drag.  If we walk into one and all we see and hear is english speakers we usually go somewhere else.  So much fun to go into a family run place, and order something that they recommend or that you are not sure of.

If you will be in Venice do not sit down and order coffee, listen to the music in P. San Marco  UNLESS you are prepared to spend 10E on  coffee and croissant per person.   They prey on tourists.    When in a restaurant order the house wine.  If the smart alec waiter recommends a bottle of something else ASK the price before he brings it.  If not you will be in for an unpleasant surprise when the bill arrives!

We find the best time to go into the Vatican is not first thing in the AM. Go about 2:30 and you should be able to either walk in or have a five/ten minute wait at the longest,

Edited by iancal

My advice to a first time visitor, or anyone, is to spend some time doing pre cruise "homework" on each of your ports.  Look at your cruise line excursions which can be a partial guide to the more popular options from your port.  Spend some time here on the CC Ports of Call boards reading about what others say and suggest for your port.  You should also look elsewhere on the Internet to simply gather information and options.   Start out with the idea that you cannot possible DO IT ALL in most places.  So you should start to focus on what is important to you and the best way to accomplish your goals.

We are talking about the Med countries which generally have a well developed tourist culture.  While cruise line excursions are certainly the easiest way to see many places, they are also pricy and generally consist of large groups.  Many folks will often book small group private tours and the Cruise Critic Roll Call board for your specific cruise is a great way to join with others to form a small tour group.   There are also many of us who prefer Do It Yourself (DIY).  In the Med and Europe, DIY can take many forms.  DW and I have traveled extensively in Europe and around most ports using our feet, local/regional buses, trains, our feet, and rental cars.  In some ports it might be as simple as walking off the ship and you are in town.  In other ports such as Civitavecchia, there are frequent trains to Rome.  

Keep in mind that while credit cards, especially Visa and MC, are widely accepted in Europe, there are some places where they are not acceptable.  You will find that there are plenty of Italian food venues that still only accept cash.  We think the easiest way to obtain local currency is via ATMs which are everywhere in Europe.  There are also money changing places where you will get varying rates of exchange.  Many ships will sell some currencies such as Euro's....but you are not going to get the best exchange rate.   

Europe has more then their share of thieves including the rather infamous gypsies..or Roma.  These folks are very good at their craft so you need to be better.  They generally will go after the easiest "marks" so do not be an easy mark.  Carry your valuables in a very safe way and always be alert to your surroundings.  If using an ATM machine have your partner keep an eye on your back.  If you are one of those folks who carries their Passport make sure to carry it in a very safe place.  There are a lot of tricks that can help protect your valuables and some are quite simple.  For example, I use large safety pins to secure the pockets on my jeans which makes it very difficult for a pick pocket.  DW uses a safety pin to secure the zipper of her purse and carries it cross-shoulder.  Others use money belts under their clothes.  You can probably find all kinds of advice and tricks by doing an Internet search.

Hank