DaNang & HoiAn from Chan May - tips and things to do

terry&mike

I just returned from taking a group of 29 clients on a Diamond Princess Southeast Asia & Japan cruise. Below is information from a web site I set up for the group, to provide them with information. Now that the trip is over, I wanted to pass this information along, in case it is of help to other travelers. 

Visas: the ship will acquire a visa for you and charge your stateroom account $56 pp.

Money: US Dollars widely accepted, please bring smaller bills.

Average Temperatures in January: 66-77 degrees.

Arrival: the ship will be docking in Chan May, approximately 1.5 hours from Da Nang or Hoi An.

Seeing the Sites: the most interesting sites are in the charming town of Hoi An, or in vibrant Da Nang. There are many tour operators here who can put together special interest tours for you, the ship has several tours available to book, you can go it on your own, or join my small group tour below.

Tour Option:

Similar to my plan in Ho Chi Minh City, this is another port where I have planned a small group tour to make the best use of my time, due to the distance from where the ship is docked to the interesting sites. As in HCMC, I will again be using Xuan Le (pronounced Soon), for a full day tour that will begin with pickup at the dock, touring in Hoi An and Da Nang, and return to the dock at the end of the day. The highlight of this tour will be the ancient town of HoiAn, we can also visit Marble Mountain to see its brilliant caves and statues OR take a basket boat ride, as well as other interesting stops such as China Beach. 

Agree with comments to visit Hoi An & DaNang. HoiAn was voted one of the best places to visit in 2019 by New York Times. We were there last October & had a wonderful tour. One of our favorites ports.

We also loved Hoi An.  We did a 2.5 hour walking tour followed up by a cooking class with Urban Adventures and used Andy's Transfers from the ship in Danang and had full use of the driver for the day.  It was one of our favorited days in Vietnam.