Is it best to book an excursion at the port on the day? Im out-priced!

pbul2004

So, me thinking I was being clever, I decided to get a few quotes for excursions in Belize.

We are there from 8am to 6pm and were interested in seeing the following things:

• Shark Ray Alley 
  • Belize Monument Sign
  • Altun Ha Mayan City
  • Goffs Caye

I have just had a quote back of $600 USD to see Altun Ha and visit Goffs Caye.

Which is pretty much the price of a weekend away in Europe! 

Are tours this expensive when you're there, as I'm wondering if i should just wait till I'm at port and see what's on offer?

Is it cheaper to do this, get a taxi to Altun Ha then try get a boat across to Goffs Caye at the port?

Does anyone know prices?

#1 you can see the smaller Belize sign in port.  Short walk over to it.

#2 How many people in your party?  $600 does seem high for just a couple.

#3 Choose either Altun ha or Goff's Caye.  Very difficult to do both. 

#4 Shoreexcursions has  Altun Ha tours for $65 pp..

Island Marketing offers a Goff's Caye excursion for $40 pp.

And there are others.

But Yes you can wait until you reach the tender pier to find an excursion. 

Altun ha is about an hour Northwest of Belize city. And Goff's cay is about an hour south east of Belize city. It would be very hard to do both in a day, and feel like you had really SEEN them. Sounds like you were priced private excursion, which makes sense based on your desire. I would be very reluctant to try to do both locations in the same day.

We have from 8am till 6pm in Belize City. 

We was thinking of doing Altun Ha in the morning and getting back for around 12-1pm.

Then doing the remaining time at Goffs Caye, i thought there might be enough time as we're in port for quite a long time.

There's 2 adults and 2 children, ages 6 and 2.

How much are the tours at port? Those prices above seem reasonable! Think the time we have, do you guys think its do-able now?

I personally don't think doing both is feasible.  You're talking 4 hours in transit.  As an example, let's say you get off the tender around 9AM (and we're talking ship time through out this port).   You connect right away with an Altun Ha tour and arrive at the site around 10AM (probably 10:15AM.  Do a tour and get back to the port area around 12:30PM.   Assuming a tour is available (could be a BIG IF) that goes to Goff's Caye and leaves at 1PM, you'll be there around 2PM.  You will need to leave by 3:30PM (4PM at the very latest) in order to give yourself enough time to get back and catch a tender.  The last tender would probably be around 5PM or maybe 5:15PM.  

In my mind that's a lot of rushing around and hoping for the best. 

• Like 1

Is there anything that could be combined with Altun Ha thats close, or some nice beaches nearby (that aren't full of cruise ship people)? 

If we did Altun Ha we'd get back for say 1pm, then there's a fair bit of time we could be doing something?

Any recommendations? Is Altun Ha worth it over Goffs Caye?

4 hours ago, pbul2004 said:

Hmmm lot to think about, thanks for the info.

Think zip lining might be tough with the 2 year old.

As would cave tubing. 

There may be an alternative.  It's called Cucumber Beach.  It's man made,  Small lagoon next to a marina. Used by locals, but not many cruisers.  Not even sure if it's open every day.

Here's a link. 

https://www.oldbelize.com/marina/

Edited by crewsweeper

Goff's Caye excursions generally leave in the morning and return in the afternoon. Prices are around $40 per person but they take many people. Maybe the $600 price includes your own private trip out there and back. 

38 minutes ago, pbul2004 said:

Im considering getting Altun-Ha done in the morning, then getting back for around 12-1.

At the cruise port area, is it easy enough just to jump on a boat and go over to Goffs Caye on the day?

See response to your other thread.