Visa requirement for cruise stop in Roatan, Honduras

Niaje81clark

Hello! I am planning a Caribbean cruise with family and have a question. Some of my family members are not US citizens or US permanent residents but have US visas that they will use to come visit me in the US. The cruise stops in Mexico, Belize and Roatan (Honduras). I was able to find information that Mexico and Belize don't require visas for cruise passengers. However, it has been close to impossible to find any information about Roatan. Their consulate is impossible to contact and when I did get someone on the phone,they told me twice that they weren't sure and asked me to call back later. My question is - has any non-US citizen cruised to Roatan before? Did you need a visa to get on the ship? I'm sure they wouldn't mind just staying on the boat and not getting off at Roatan if necessary. Any advice would be appreciated. 

Without knowing what country their passport is from, its impossible for anyone to say whether they would need a visa or not. Even then ,it would be foolish to rely on any advice from anyone other than the  Honduran embassy or consulate.  It's not a matter of staying on board. Without the correct documentation, they would likely be denied boarding.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hello, i have the same question. My relative’s passport is Vietnam which is not one of the countries in the list that no need to have a visa. It is so difficult to contact the consulate. In case she cannot have a visa can she still board and stay in the ship? 

• 11 months later...

My spouse and I were just aboard the Norwegian Prima with a stop that included Roatan Honduras. Prior to the trip I searched everything I could but to little assist. I ended up calling the embassy in Tegucigalpa for several days and was able to reach someone regarding the visa requirement for non us citizens (specifically US permanent resident holders). I was informed by the embassy that the visa requirement is waived with the exception of a few countries if you are a us green card holder. I compared this information to the NCL visa central information and found it to be a match. For example, my spouse has an Egyptian passport but is a us green card holder so the visa requirement is waived. As another example if someone if a passport holder from Kenya or Nepal but has a US green card the visa requirement still applies. Check Visa central and enter in all the details. If a visa exemption box pops up saying us visa holders or us permanent resident holders are exempt (and you hold a valid visa or permanent residency) then you are good to go. I also find the Qatar Airways site to be helpful for better understanding visa requirements (but you should always check specifics with your specific airline or cruise ship), I do find Qatar's website to be very accurate though. I was my original source of information for the Honduras visa requirement for US Permanent resident. I have attached the link here. KLM and Airfrance travel doc is also helpful in better understanding visa requirements. 

Now when we arrived at the cruise port in Texas the direct words of the gate agent were "If you have a green card in the eyes of NCL you are a US citizen" but take that with a grain of salt. Always be prepared with supporting documents in case someone tries to give you a hard time. We traveled with the foreign passport and the green card. 

Hope this makes sense and helps someone! Happy Cruising! 

https://m.qatarairways.com/mobile/vta/timatic/preBookingSearch.htm

https://visacentral.com

https://klm.traveldoc.aero

https://airfrance.traveldoc.aero