In room TV closed captions

murphy*kitty

I have trouble hearing the dialog on in room movies at any volume.. Will Holland provide closed captioning (or alternate listening device) if asked. I am booked in an SA Neptune suite on the OOsterdam, if that s relevant. 

Thanks for any info you can provide.

45 minutes ago, murphy*kitty said:

Interesting.. We last cruised OOsterdam in May/2019 and were frustrated by lack of CC. This time will check to see if it needs to be enabled or? 

You do have to find the CC area on the TV and set it to ON.  It is not automatic.

1 hour ago, murphy*kitty said:

I have trouble hearing the dialog on in room movies at any volume.. Will Holland provide closed captioning (or alternate listening device) if asked. I am booked in an SA Neptune suite on the OOsterdam, if that s relevant. 

Thanks for any info you can provide.

I am deaf with bilateral cochlear implants and rely on captions to fill in the gaps on what I miss when listening to/watching TV.  In the past I was very frustrated by the glitches with captioning on HAL ships (they would flash on and off), but on my last cruise on Zuiderdam, they were perfect!  It appears that HAL has worked out the bugs.  I really enjoy watching movies on those large, in-room televisions.  Next up is a 16 night Westerdam cruise in April and I am really looking forward to catching up on some movies during sea days, as I do not normally watch any TV at all because it's so frustrating.  The HAL captions didn't even lag that much as compared to captions on regular programming. 

Also, assistive listening devices for the show lounge, as well as in-room ALDs are available through HAL's special needs desk.  Be sure to contact them prior to your cruise and they will have everything in place upon boarding.  As an FYI, if you have any trouble with the ALD in the showroom, do not take it back to the guest services desk for a fix because they have not a clue!  Instead, about 30 minutes prior to any show in the main showroom, find the sound guy there and he will take care of any issues.

Cheers!

Edited by Taters
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, murphy*kitty said:

Interesting.. We last cruised OOsterdam in May/2019 and were frustrated by lack of CC. This time will check to see if it needs to be enabled or? 

The remote has a button marked "CC".  Not all programs are enabled, but all it takes is a push of the CC button.

If all else fails, ask your cabin steward how to do it.