Chocolate

friendlyfifer

7 hours ago, friendlyfifer said:

No the Everglades has been ruled out. Our plane lands the evening before embarkation. We have decided to concentrate on sightseeing in Miami before boarding.

Next trip! 😁

On your rounds in Miami, stop at a Publix supermarket.

They carry Lindt chocolate bars. They are manufactured here in the US at a Lindt manufacturing plant and are the same high quality are this made in Switzerland.

Don't buy any Godiva- definitely not the same as in Belgium.

8 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Next trip! 😁

On your rounds in Miami, stop at a Publix supermarket.

They carry Lindt chocolate bars. They are manufactured here in the US at a Lindt manufacturing plant and are the same high quality are this made in Switzerland.

Don't buy any Godiva- definitely not the same as in Belgium.

Thanks for the advice. I may well do that. Sadly, I’m not a great fan of American chocolate.

15 hours ago, friendlyfifer said:

Thanks for the advice. I may well do that. Sadly, I’m not a great fan of American chocolate.

Neither am I for the most part.

Secret about Hershey's milk chocolate: When the original plant was built amid the dairy farms in Pennsylvania (still in the same location in a town now called Hershey), Mr Hershey realize that the milk he was paying for could be had for pennies when it had spoiled.  

He started making his chocolate with the spoiled milk and that is what originally gave Hershey's milk chocolate its unique flavor.

The milk chocolate is no longer made with spoiled milk, Hershey's stresses that it is made with farm fresh milk.  However, what is not said is that the fresh milk is processed to be chemically soured, therefore maintaining the chocolate's unique taste.

Publix also carries a San Francisco brand called Ghiradelli's. If I was on a deserted island (or a cruise ship)with only Ghiradelli's chocolate, I would not turn it down .

Do not let anyone talk you into another California brand called See's. 

Baltimore's family owned (since 1887) Wockenfuss chocolate are also topnotch, but it won't be found in Florida.

Homosassa, you must have some Belgian ancestors. You remarks are correct. 

When it comes to true Belgian chocolates (Leonidas or Godiva for example), those are made locally with real cream and some US food rules prohibits the presence of fresh cream in chocolate. I don't know the details.

I am a US citizen born in Belgium and I understand the original question.

It is said that there are three food groups in Belgium: beer, fries and chocolate.

I suffer from withdrawal if those are not available.

No Belgian ancestry, I have just travel to Belgium.

I loved the beer and chocolates, could do without the fries (it wouldn't hurt to have some green stuff on the plates). 

The menu in any restaurant we ate in became a joke - did we want steak and fries or chicken and fries?

The eels in Ostend made a nice change in menu. 

18 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Neither am I for the most part.

Secret about Hershey's milk chocolate: When the original plant was built amid the dairy farms in Pennsylvania (still in the same location in a town now called Hershey), Mr Hershey realize that the milk he was paying for could be had for pennies when it had spoiled.  

He started making his chocolate with the spoiled milk and that is what originally gave Hershey's milk chocolate its unique flavor.

The milk chocolate is no longer made with spoiled milk, Hershey's stresses that it is made with farm fresh milk.  However, what is not said is that the fresh milk is processed to be chemically soured, therefore maintaining the chocolate's unique taste.

Publix also carries a San Francisco brand called Ghiradelli's. If I was on a deserted island (or a cruise ship)with only Ghiradelli's chocolate, I would not turn it down .

Do not let anyone talk you into another California brand called See's. 

Baltimore's family owned (since 1887) Wockenfuss chocolate are also topnotch, but it won't be found in Florida.

Thanks for the informative response. Hershey’s somehow just doesn’t taste like chocolate to me. I suppose we all get used to what we have in our home countries. 

5 hours ago, friendlyfifer said:

Thanks for the informative response. Hershey’s somehow just doesn’t taste like chocolate to me. I suppose we all get used to what we have in our home countries. 

What? You don't like sour milk in your chocolate?

I am shocked!!!!!😁