Royal Caribbean Announcement

I am thinking that soon they won't have to stop at any islands, the ship it self is the destination. I have to admit I enjoy my days at sea. That is going to be one big ship. It will be the one with the bowling allys and a whole list of new attractions. Mabe even a Wallmart LOL. Perhaps it will house a retirement home or other permanent residents.

Brian J

From a cruise news service I get

Royal Caribbean Orders Huge Ship

Fresh from reporting record year earnings, Royal Caribbean has

ordered what will be the world's largest cruise ship, a 5,400

passenger vessel costing $1.1 billion. The ship, which is 40%

larger than what is currently in the marketplace, will be built in

Finland's Aker yards and delivered in Autumn 2009.

The product is not yet named but will be under the title "Project

Genesis." A second ship is under option.

=================

I wonder how you service a ship like that? ...get baggage and provisions on. What ports will be able to handle it? If the QM2 has to anchor out in most places will this ship have landing craft like the Norway to take passengers ashore? Or remember there are bridges in NYC and other places ships have to go under, which would limit the height. Or maybe the thing will be so big they don't need ports to visit.

I am thinking that soon they won't have to stop at any islands, the ship it self is the destination. I have to admit I enjoy my days at sea. That is going to be one big ship. It will be the one with the bowling allys and a whole list of new attractions. Mabe even a Wallmart LOL. Perhaps it will house a retirement home or other permanent residents.

Brian J

Funny you said that.... On our cruise this past Nov on the Radiance, at the Crown and Anchor reception the captain said that RCI vision is to build bigger ships where the ship is the destination not the islands. They might even have some in the future that don't go to any islands, just cruise.

Archived