glacier and dog sledding in Anchorage?

RedE2Go64

We want to do a helicopter/dog sledding sometime on our cruise next year. Traveling first week of August. I'm a big concerned that the dog sled camps might be closed for the season by then, especially since they closed early this past season. Plus, there is a bit of time crunch in Juneau for us to do helicopter/dog sled, and go out to Mendenhall Glacier Nugget trails (falls?) AND try to go up the tram.

So we are trying see if a helicopter to glacier/dog sled is possible, or advisable in Anchorage, before our cruise. We should get in to Anchorage around 2:00pm and we will need to catch a transfer to Whittier the following day. So just the one night in Anchorage. 

Has anyone tried this, or can give advice? I do feel like we are trying to cram it in but I really don't want to miss out on an opportunity to dog sled on a glacier.

We did a glacier landing tour last summer with Alaska Helicopter Tours.  They base during summer at Knik Glacier Lodge and winters in Anchorage. This summer, my daughter and I have booked the two landing flight- one on the lower glacier and  the other upper glacier with dog sled experience.  It’s about a 45 minute drive from Anchorage, and they also have a RT shuttle available that you can book. https://www.alaskahelicoptertours.com

Edited by Marylandteachergirl

21 hours ago, RedE2Go64 said:

Thank you! We were hoping to not rent a car, so the shuttle option is a definite plus. Thank you for your info!

It was truly one of the most amazing things we have ever done.  I hope you find a tour that works well for you.  We rented a car last time, but were a group of 4 traveling together.  I do not like driving in unfamiliar places, so the shuttle was a great option for us this time.  They are picking us up in downtown Anchorage.

2 hours ago, Marylandteachergirl said:

We rented a car last time, but were a group of 4 traveling together.

We are traveling with another couple who MIGHT go on this, so maybe a rental car would be an option if they go. Was it a hassle/expensive to rent just for the day? I like the ease of just having them shuttle us though.

I'm so glad you loved the experience. It's so expensive but I think we will regret it if we don't do it. 

9 hours ago, RedE2Go64 said:

We are traveling with another couple who MIGHT go on this, so maybe a rental car would be an option if they go. Was it a hassle/expensive to rent just for the day? I like the ease of just having them shuttle us though.

I'm so glad you loved the experience. It's so expensive but I think we will regret it if we don't do it. 

We rented a large SUV for the week last year through Costco (a year out) because we also went to Denali for several days. I have decided for this trip, I am just going to pay the $50pp for the shuttle as it's just two of us.  For four people, it may well be less money to rent a car, then you'd have the freedom to also sightsee.  I just know I am not comfortable driving in unfamiliar places, and I'd rather enjoy my experience instead of worrying over driving.  I'll make myself a nervous wreck.  Fwiw, my husband said it's an easy drive - all highway until you turn off onto a few small roads, but you're nearly there at that point.  :)  If you are looking for just one day, there are lots of rentals available at/around the Anchorage Airport.  There are also several rental locations throughout the city.  I know there is an Enterprise location in midtown and an Avis location right downtown off of B Street.  https://www.costcotravel.com/Rental-Cars/h=3001_cid-851a52f3-7813-4e17-9008-2aa1e9341c4b

Thank you 

On 2/24/2020 at 7:08 PM, Marylandteachergirl said:

If you are looking for just one day, there are lots of rentals available at/around the Anchorage Airport.  There are also several rental locations throughout the city.  I know there is an Enterprise location in midtown and an Avis location right downtown off of B Street.

Thank you again for all your help !