Star princess mini-suite questions

RedE2Go64

We are debating between a mini-suite on the Dophin deck 9 (Star Princess) or a regular balcony cabin on Caribe deck (deck 10) for an Alaskan cruise next summer.

Are the balconies on mini-suites deck 9 partially covered, like they are on the Caribe deck? Or totally uncovered? I can't tell from the pictures I've seen of the Star Princess.

Are the baclonies on the caribe deck and Dolphin deck the same size? I believe the room is a bit bigger, but not sure about the balcony.

If we are on the Dolphin deck, can we look straight down into the water, or are we looking at the top of lifeboats or someone elses balcony?

Do you get any extra perks being in a mini-suite, or is it  just that we would be in a slightly bigger cabin?

Thank you for any help. 

Dolphin deck 9 minis are fully exposed.

IMO the best minis are on deck 8 aft and they are all covered. There are only 12 or so so they go fast. 6 on each side of the ship.
Deck 8 Emerald minis look down to the water.
If you book one mark your booking “no upgrade”.

The minis on deck 8 and 9 are the same size. It’s just the balcony on 9 is exposed to the cabins above.

Deck 10 regular balconies are half covered and huge. They look down onto the mini balconies on deck 9 and people can look down and see you from deck 11 etc if you are standing at the rail.

8 minutes ago, RedE2Go64 said:

We are debating between a mini-suite on the Dophin deck 9 (Star Princess) or a regular balcony cabin on Caribe deck (deck 10) for an Alaskan cruise next summer.

Are the balconies on mini-suites deck 9 partially covered, like they are on the Caribe deck? Or totally uncovered? I can't tell from the pictures I've seen of the Star Princess.

Are the baclonies on the caribe deck and Dolphin deck the same size? I believe the room is a bit bigger, but not sure about the balcony.

If we are on the Dolphin deck, can we look straight down into the water, or are we looking at the top of lifeboats or someone elses balcony?

Do you get any extra perks being in a mini-suite, or is it  just that we would be in a slightly bigger cabin?

Thank you for any help. 

Colo Cruiser is correct on balcony coverage. Emerald Minis deck 8 at the back are covered. If you get the very back mini on this deck it has a substantial larger balcony and you can look aft.

Caribe deck balconies are Bigger (maybe 2x) compared to the Mini suite on Dolphin. If it is just two of you, the mini balcony is sufficient.

From Dolphin, you can look straight down. We like this for seeing the tenders/pilot boats. You might see parts of the life boats, but not very much.

There are perks for a club class mini if you are not elite. You also get the club class dining.

Take a look at Star D732-733. These minis were originally supposed to be for handicap, but had a fail and are booked as regular minis. I think the angle to get in through the entry door is wrong for wheelchairs.

The balcony is HUGE (yes - uncovered). Room for 20 or so of your best friends without crowding.

The bathroom has an enormous handicap shower with a seat. The sink area doesn't have the usual storage underneath due to leaving room for a wheelchair.

The beds are designated "twin only" but can be changed to queen.

We really enjoyed this cabin.

Hawaii one 021.JPG

Hawaii one 023.JPG

Hawaii one 028.JPG

Hawaii one 033.JPG

Edited by JF - retired RRT

9 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Take a look at Star D732-733. These minis were originally supposed to be for handicap, but had a fail and are booked as regular minis. I think the angle to get in through the entry door is wrong for wheelchairs.

The balcony is HUGE (yes - uncovered). Room for 20 or so of your best friends without crowding.

The bathroom has an enormous handicap shower with a seat. The sink area doesn't have the usual storage underneath due to leaving room for a wheelchair.

The beds are designated "twin only" but can be changed to queen.

We really enjoyed this cabin.

Hawaii one 021.JPG

The E rooms below have the same balcony.

Wow...thank you all for your help and suggestions. Not sure that I want a totally uncovered balcony since we will be in Alaska and I have heard theres a lot of rain July/August. We might want to have a partial covered balcony, but the size of the mini suites and room the balcony on D732 just might sway me!