Barter Shopping

The other day I read a thread about how to start bartering with the vendors at the shops, something about starting at half the stated price, then doing more bartering...anyhow, does anyone remember that thread? Thought the advice was good, but can't remember all of it!! Thx!!

:)That seems to work, start at half and he'll start high and you end up in the middle! That's the theory anyway. In Mexico I'd take a real good look at items and decide before beginning this process what I thought I'd be willing to pay and what it's worth, I don't like to get spurred on by the process. Then, and I always carry a variety of small bills with me, while I'm talking I take out the cash I'm willing to pay, not all at first. Often times, cash talks all by it's self. If it goes beyond what you think is really fair be willing to walk away. Good luck and have a great time!!!:D

The other day I read a thread about how to start bartering with the vendors at the shops, something about starting at half the stated price, then doing more bartering...anyhow, does anyone remember that thread? Thought the advice was good, but can't remember all of it!! Thx!!

Remember...everything is negotiable in the Islands, especially with the street vendors and in the markets more so. The rule of thumb is to deduct 50% off the starting price and don't pay more than 50% more than that. So if something is $50 start out at $25, but don't pay more than $37.50.

jcruise

Great article. I would say closer to 60 percent. Always fun in the Middle East. Start at about half. Don't ever pretend like you are intested in the item. Seem nonchalant and carry small bills. Have your husband/wife play good cop bad cop. Tell the guy some other vender was selling it for less. If you want more than one, go low and settle on a price and then ask how much for three. Walk out of the store several times, letting him stop you. Don't ever concentrate on what you really want. I remember in Kenya going to the factory where all the "Hand Carved" stuff was made. Funny how everyone proffessed to making it themselves.

I'm not cheap, but spent way too much time in the Middle East. 7 years, and this was probably one of the few fun things to do. Remember, this is always a Sale and you are always a "Good Friend", and most importantly, the stuff will always be there after you leave. Good luck and have fun.

Archived