Charleston SC, what to do there?

Funcouple

Ship docks in March 9a - 5p

Charleston sounds like an interesting Historical City with lots of history, downtown touring, food, waterfronts, plantations (30 minutes away), etc.

What is there to do there? What looks unique? How about food, anything really unique? What will the weather be like (temperature)?

Ship docks in March 9a - 5p

Charleston sounds like an interesting Historical City with lots of history, downtown touring, food, waterfronts, plantations (30 minutes away), etc.

What is there to do there? What looks unique? How about food, anything really unique? What will the weather be like (temperature)?

Funcouple: I live in the Upstate of South Carolina about a four hour drive from Charleston. My wife and I have visited there on several occasions and it is a beautiful and unique city with lots of Southern charm and history.

There is a web site www.charlestoncvb.com where you can order a free Visitor's Guide that would probably be very helpful in planning your activities.

At a minimum, you want to visit the Old City Market for shopping - even if shopping is not one of your favorite pasttimes. You will see lots of local crafts (baskets, dolls, etc) being made and sold, and meet many of the local people who have a special charm and character about them. The market itself is made up of several long open air buildings, each full of booths selling anything imaginable from artwork to local food items.

After a stroll thru the Market, you must take a carriage tour of the city. There are two major carriage companies operating in the downtown area. The one we have used and been very pleased with is Palmetto Carriage Tours located on Market Street just a block or so from the Old City Market. The price is very reasonable and the tour guides are witty and informative, providing a lot of good historical information along the way. There are four different routes and you don't know which one you are going to be on until you board your carriage for the tour. But whichever you get, you will not be disappointed - very well worth the money. If you book the carriage tour on your own, you probably want to purchase your tickets before you visit the Market - they will give you a time to be back at the barn for your tour so you don't have to stand around waiting. Unless you get there early, the wait time can get long.

As far as food, seafood is definitely the main attraction. You may want to try the Low Country Boil for something different. This is a southern specialty consisting of shrimp, smoked or Italian sausage, corn on the cob, and new potatoes steamed with onions in special seasoning.

We took my parents who are in their 80's down to Charleston for their first ever visit last March and the weather was absolutely beautiful - temperatures in the mid 70's and bright sunshine. This is usually a good time to visit as it gets quite hot and muggy during the summer.

Hope you enjoy your stay. If you have specific questions, I will try to answer as best I can.

Cutiger76: Do you know any good places for lunch in Charleston? We love seafood and I would like to have some she-crab soup. My husband is looking for some good hush puppies which I understand are good in Charleston. Can you recommend anything.

Cutiger76: Do you know any good places for lunch in Charleston? We love seafood and I would like to have some she-crab soup. My husband is looking for some good hush puppies which I understand are good in Charleston. Can you recommend anything.

Beth59: I would recommend two places that are conveniently located to the Old City Market and Battery - areas where you will likely spend most of your time. The first is Hyman's Seafood located at 215 Meeting Street, a highly regarded seafood restaurant that has been around for a long time. Web site is www.hymanseafood.com. The other recommendation would be the Charleston Crab House located at 41 South Market Street. Either of these should be good choices based on what you are looking for. Hope you enjoy your visit.

I went for a couple of hours once years ago. I loved the market. They make the most incredible baskets there, when I went I could only afford a small one. You also see the baskets on the road between Georgetown and Charleston. To one side of the market there is the most incredible candy company. Their caramel is the best I have ever had. I wish I could remember the name of the place. If you are walking away from the water it is on the left. If I went back again a tour of some of the homes or Fort Sumter would be first on my list.

If you enjoy history Fort Sumter where the first shots of the Civil War were fired sits in the middle of the harbor. There is a museum a short walk from where your ship will dock and then a ferry that takes you out to the island where the fort is.

There is a charge for the ferry and tour which includes a short tour of the harbor where you can get pictures of the city, your ship and the aircraft carrier and coast guard cutter ships at Patriot's Point.

Here is a link telling you a little about it.

http://www.nps.gov/fosu/

If you want to pick up some liquid refreshment to take back to the ship with you there is a neat grocery store, Harris Teeter, that is in an old warehouse near the docks that stocks a good selection of wine and beer.

We ate in a small resturant between the museum and dock and had a nice late lunch but I don't remember what it was called.

Have a great next cruise.

While our son attended the University of South Carolina we were frequent visitors to the state and always made our way to Charleston from Columbia. I must say Hyman's Seafood is definitely the place to eat if you like Seafood ! It is an institution in Charleston.

A stroll thru the Market is also something special as is the Carriage ride thru Historic Charleston. This is a great city to spend a few days or a day as in your case. Enjoy!:D

I live right outside Charleston and this is what I would do.

Eat at either Poogan's Porch or Jestine's Kitchen. Both are Low Country/Soul Food. Excellent.

Skip Hyman's unless you want fried seafood. While I love their crispy fish (whole fried baby flounder), eat something indigenous to Charleston.

Take a walking tour. I second the CVB suggestion.

Visit the SC Aquarium. If anything the view of Charleston Harbour and the new bridge is magnificent.

Have a drink at the rooftop of The Market Pavillion. Trust me on this one.

Shop on King Street. You'll thank me.

When in March? Begining of March could be cool but late March will be warm. Expect mid to upper 70s for the daily high.

Hymans is good but crowded. A great local place is Shem Creek Bar and Grill in Mt. Pleasant

http://www.shemcreekbarandgrill.com/shemcreekbarandgrill.html

Its right on the water with great views of the shrimp boats. Great She-crab soup as well.

The Market is near where the boat docks. Lots of touristy trinkets and such.

Kaminski's has great coffees and the best dessert in Charleston. Try the "Death by Chocolate".

There is a hamburger place called "Your Place" that cooks up burgers fat and juicy. It's right on the market.

Just off the market is a great Irish Pub called "Tommy Condons" which is a great place to have a pint.

Carriage tours can be fun. In Mt. Pleasant you can go to "Patriots Point" where the U.S.S. Yorktown is available for touring.

Also right by "Aw Shucks" restaurant (which isn't that good) is a local artist who does charcoal portraits. He can do one or two people in about an hour. He has tremendous talent.

All in all charleston is a great city to just walk around and explore. The weather here in March is usually perfect with temps in the 70's. Have Fun!

• 2 months later...

Had a private tour booked with Taylored Tours of Charleston, SC.

It was for 3 hours for a group of 7. We arrived on time and sat and waited for Mr. Taylor to pick us up. It was very windy and cold that day. We waited for over an hour and Mr. Taylor never showed up. Neither did he return any of our numerous calls. Not even after we returned home. We booked a private tour as my Mother uses a wheelchair because she cannot walk long distances. We ended up walking around Charleston and taking turns pushing the chair. Needless to say we did not get to see too much. This was not the way we wanted to start our cruise as this was our first port. I have reccommended tours before, but this one i would stay away from.

Archived