Can Viking Remain Viable With This Extreme Revenue Loss

airtana

On 5/13/2020 at 12:22 PM, Redtravel said:

Finally got my refund posted to my credit card.  I was getting annoyed reading comments about how quickly some people were refunded.  Cruise was canceled by Viking on March 30 and it has taken from then to now , May 13th to get a refund.  When I asked for the refund, I was told 2 weeks at most.  Made additional calls and got a variety of responses. all were different.  Not sure why.  Regardless of the various scenarios, the refund makes me feel more comfortable.  

Had you made your reservations directly with Viking, or did you use a travel agent?

Reading some of the comments posted here and on other cruise line threads, it seems travel agent assisted deals were resolved a little more quickly. Or, a lot more quickly in some cases.

I used a travel agent. For years I have booked with the same agent at a big online agency.  When I tried to contact him after receiving the cancellation email from Viking, message said he was no longer available. So I called Viking directly and was told that if you made a reservation with an agent, that agent had to make the request for the refund.  Catch 22 

I explained my situation and after being put on hold, the Viking person put through my request for a cash refund.  Certainly when Viking cancels 2 months span of cruises, there would be a huge number of guests requesting refunds.  The letter also said that you had only one week to request refund or it would be fcc. If you chose the fcc, you did not need to do anything.  It would be issued automatically.  Just guessing that Viking underestimated how many people wanted their money refunded instead of fcc.  Previous to corona virus, when I have had a cruise canceled, I welcomed the fcc.  However, until corona virus is contained and a vaccine is available, I cannot see cruises being safe. Will wait and hope for safer times