Star Princess - Engine Noise and Motion - Cabin D714 - Stern Dolphin Deck

Smokeyham

I have some friends that have been upgraded to a mini suite (D714 - Dolphin Deck, near the stern).  

They are wondering if cabins such as that one near the stern will have problems with either engine noise or excessive motion.  Of course, I know that both are subjective, but if anyone has had a cabin in that area, then I would appreciate your feedback.  

They are being upgraded from Baja 318, which is somewhat forward on Baja deck.   The upgrade is from a BB Balcony to an MD Mini suite (five classes up), so I am thinking it is a good offer to accept, but again would appreciate any feedback from people who have had experiences with cabins that area/deck.

Thanks!

From my experience on the Star, aft wake view cabin, Emerald deck, there is a lot of vibration, in those  aft cabins. Additionally, I never quite realized how much noisier the ocean is, at the back of the ship. LOL . I was anticipating soothing water sounds,  not the relentless volume of a strong running faucet of a bathtub. The views were beautiful,  however. I often book forward to mid forward cabins that meet my expectations much better. You had B318. I would prefer that location! IMO Motion wise was not an issue for me. Noticeable vibration and loud ocean noise are my issue.

Edited by CruzeQueen2

D714 is not an aft facing cabin. 
We have stayed in minis in the 700’s on both Dolphin and Emerald decks on the Star. Although there may be some thruster noise/vibration occasionally entering or leaving ports it was never an issue and never had any other noises etc.

No wake noise at all. It is a side of ship cabin.

11 minutes ago, CruzeQueen2 said:

From my experience on the Star, aft wake view cabin, Emerald deck, there is a lot of vibration, in those  aft cabins. Additionally, I never quite realized how much noisier the ocean is, at the back of the ship. LOL . I was anticipating soothing water sounds,  not the relentless volume of a strong running faucet of a bathtub. The views were beautiful,  however. I often book forward to mid forward cabins that meet my expectations much better. You had B318. I would prefer that location! IMO Motion wise was not an issue for me. Noticeable vibration and loud ocean noise are my issue.

Thanks for that feedback.   I had not thought of the issues of ocean sounds being more pronounced at the stern of the ship.   

38 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

D714 is not an aft facing cabin. 
We have stayed in minis in the 700’s on both Dolphin and Emerald decks on the Star. Although there may be some thruster noise/vibration occasionally entering or leaving ports it was never an issue and never had any other noises etc.

No wake noise at all. It is a side of ship cabin.

Thanks for that perspective.    I realized that I was in Baja 704 back in 2014 and I reread the review I wrote for CruiseCritic.  I noted some thruster noise when entering ports, but noted no other problems.

2 hours ago, Smokeyham said:

I have some friends that have been upgraded to a mini suite (D714 - Dolphin Deck, near the stern).  

They are wondering if cabins such as that one near the stern will have problems with either engine noise or excessive motion.  Of course, I know that both are subjective, but if anyone has had a cabin in that area, then I would appreciate your feedback.  

They are being upgraded from Baja 318, which is somewhat forward on Baja deck.   The upgrade is from a BB Balcony to an MD Mini suite (five classes up), so I am thinking it is a good offer to accept, but again would appreciate any feedback from people who have had experiences with cabins that area/deck.

Thanks!

When is your cruise date

12 hours ago, Smokeyham said:

Thanks!

Some say potato, some say potahto, asking a subjective question on Cruise Critic will get you the gamut in answers.  Take the upgrade, if you don't like it, don't take a similar cabin again, if you do like it, Princess is happy, because you like it, and will possibly upgrade on your own dime next time.  Everyone wins.