Seabourn Quest 2021

I've asked SB a few times since late last year and all they will say is to check back later this summer when hopefully the itineraries are released.  I'm hopeful she'll return to South America/Antarctica as a more affordable option to Venture. 

We did the 24 day itinerary on Quest that included 3 days in South Georgia Islands which was amazing and we really want to go back there as well.  Would consider the Venture but not at the current price point.  

We are currently booked on the 24 day which includes South Georgia. We are really hoping to go this year, but if that’s not possible, we would like to go next year.  Currently, the itinerary for the Quest ends November 7.  I guess we will just have to wait and see.

• Like 1

There seems to be a 2 week gap between 7 November in Rotterdam and 21 November in London. My travel agent has tried and failed to get further info from Seabourn. So it could either be a charter (eeeek) they don’t want to tell us about, or dry dock?

After the Antarctic and Amazon season was concluded, the Quest spent some time in Barbados with the Odyssey and then sailed across the Atlantic to Gibraltar where it met up with the Ovation and the Encore.   It is now sailing east through the Med towards the Suez canal.   As air travel scarcely exists right now, I believe a lot of cruise ships are acting as ferries and taking crew members back to their home ports.  

We're talking about Quest's itinerary in 2021, not this year.  Currently her schedule ends in Miami on November 7, 2021 and nothing past that has been published so that's what we're anxiously awaiting.

On 5/9/2020 at 8:28 AM, zelker said:

We did the 24 day itinerary on Quest that included 3 days in South Georgia Islands which was amazing and we really want to go back there as well.  Would consider the Venture but not at the current price point.  

We are new to Seabourn and are currently looking to possibly book the 24 day cruise including S. Georgia Island for either this December or the February 24, 2021 sailing.   We are also considering their 43 day from Miami departing (or hoping to depart) on November 7th to BA.  However that itinerary which has some strong appeal to us does NOT go to S. Georgia Island.

Could you or anyone else out there please share your thoughts about S. Georgia Island?  I have heard from people who have been there that it is " a must", but I am not sure just why.  Thus it is hard for us to better evaluate how important that stop would be for us.  Any other thoughts you wish to share would be most appreciated.  If it is easier or preferable I may be reached at marycc1@cox.net.  Thanks!

7 hours ago, andiamo76 said:

We are new to Seabourn and are currently looking to possibly book the 24 day cruise including S. Georgia Island for either this December or the February 24, 2021 sailing.   

The February sailing has two advantages - it leaves from Santiago and leaves the best till last, which is South Georgia.  It is also another two months down the line, further away from the Covid-19 mess.  Personally, I don't see any ships sailing before next year.  South America is in the epicentre of the storm right now.

While South Georgia does not have the classic iceberg landscapes of Antarctica, it is still a majestic geological frenzy that also offers the extensive remains of the old whaling stations and one of the planet's most stunning wildlife spectacles.   The Quest route is ideal because it avoids the internal flights between BA and Ushuaia and covers the Chilean fjords, Antarctica and SG.  You compromise on the size of the ship (a genuine expedition vessel would give you a more immersive experience) but gain on the facilities, the level of luxury and the speed and stability of a bigger ship.  

If time and money were no object, I might be tempted to sail from Santiago to Miami via Antarctica, SG and Amazonia.

Edited by Fletcher

Thanks for responding Fletcher.  Much appreciated.  Ditto re February seems the better route and more time for things to sort themselves out bit more.   I also read it can be one of the best months for whale sightings but again I have no idea how abundant and just when is best for that in Antarctica.  We were in Iceland last August and September and they and much of the wildlife were long gone.  Some good Northern lights at least.

The November 7th sailing from Miami is tempting as we would avoid one long flight and it would also "buy time" for virus, cruise & port issues to do whatever they will do especially if Covid raises it's ugly head late in the year as many fear.  Flexibility is the key but I would sure hate to be on an Antarctica cruise that had port changes & didn't get to actually go there.  Given how cruise lines always have the fine print option to change or cancel ports basically with no recourse for the passenger, with the pricing of a "real" Antarctica trip (not just an around the horn), it would be a major hit & tough to take.

Still pondering....