Getting There is Half the Fun (50's)

prescottbob

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

My most disappointing cruise was a trans-Atlantic 1980 crossing on QE2 in Tourist Class.  Many crew were unhappy because of whatever labor issues.  The one crew member whom I remember most fondly was a Deck Steward who was an older gentleman than the "younger ones" who provided much less than "White Star Service".  This gentleman provided the type of service that the video showed.

That must have been the legendary Dennis Dawson. No-one who had the pleasure of being served by him would forget him. I last saw him on a QE2 crossing in 1988. We spent far more time in our reserved deck chairs than we normally would just to enjoy talking to him.  According to a discussion site, Dennis passed away two years ago.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

That must have been the legendary Dennis Dawson. No-one who had the pleasure of being served by him would forget him. I last saw him on a QE2 crossing in 1988. We spent far more time in our reserved deck chairs than we normally would just to enjoy talking to him.  According to a discussion site, Dennis passed away two years ago.

I believe you have identified the gentleman.  I did a Google search for Mr. Dawson and found a photo that did remind me of what my QE2 Deck Steward looked like.  I appreciate you supplying a name to my memory.  

Thanks for that video! Took me back to memories of my grandparents who took several trips on the Queen Mary...then when it became a hotel, we stayed on it to see what it was 'sort of like." Photo is of my grandfather (in the cap) on the deck of the Queen Mary in the '50's. Loved the differences in attire now...my grandmother had her hats/gloves, suits to wear all over Europe and grandpa had his suits and ties...everywhere. Then there were the evening clothes...I prefer our travels now! Much easier!

smFrankMcVicarVerandah.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, janmcn said:

Thanks for that video! Took me back to memories of my grandparents who took several trips on the Queen Mary...then when it became a hotel, we stayed on it to see what it was 'sort of like." Photo is of my grandfather (in the cap) on the deck of the Queen Mary in the '50's. Loved the differences in attire now...my grandmother had her hats/gloves, suits to wear all over Europe and grandpa had his suits and ties...everywhere. Then there were the evening clothes...I prefer our travels now! Much easier!

smFrankMcVicarVerandah.jpg

The gentleman 4 chairs to the right of your Grandfather reminds me of myself on  QE2;  nicely tucked in.

• Like 1