Getting There is Half the Fun (50's)

prescottbob

Just something to take everyone's mind off the fate of HAL, refunds & such.

If copy & paste doesn't work with your server just go to YouTube and type in Getting there is Half the Fun (50's) if interested.. A Cunard promo for cruising. An oldie but goodie.

Be well & have a Great Weekend!.

Bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utH65UZ7w_w

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My mother and grandmother sailed on the Queen Mary; not sure about the QE. Fun to see this. Even when I started cruising as a child in the early 1970s some of these things were still familiar -- the gym looked just the same and there was a big to-do about shuffleboard. And of course, horse racing. I remember my parents doing that dance contest with the balloon between their foreheads. :classic_laugh:

I will say the food doesn't look very appetizing based on how we eat today. Then again, black and white photos of food rarely do it justice....

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing.  I enjoyed the look back.  I didn't realize they had 3 classes for passengers: First; cabin and tourist.  And I didn't know passengers were able to bring their automobiles too, interesting!  m--

Where do I sign up?  I thank the OP for posting this.  Never had the opportunity to sail on the Queen Elizabeth or the Queen Mary, but I was a visitor--as a young teenager--during embarkation of Queen Mary in New York.  That visit left such an impression on me that I knew on that Summer afternoon:  "I HAVE TO DO THIS!"  And, thankfully, I have been able to do so.

While I have never sailed on any of those ships I have spent several nights on Queen Mary.  Very nice, at least for First Class.  I wonder what ships Cunard that could clear the bridges to Montreal.  

Roy

There are links to quite a few other vintage ships on that page, as well.  I just watched the Transvaal Castle (Premier IslandBreeze) one; it was fascinating seeing the decks and rooms that we knew when we sailed in 1999.  One of our favorite ships.

20 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I wonder what ships Cunard that could clear the bridges to Montréal.  

Saxonia-class.  RMS Saxonia, RMS Ivernia, RMS Carinthia , RMS Sylvania --  much smaller, only ~22,000 GRT.    Scott. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, rafinmd said:

While I have never sailed on any of those ships I have spent several nights on Queen Mary.  Very nice, at least for First Class.  I wonder what ships Cunard that could clear the bridges to Montreal.  

Roy

We sailed to Montreal on little Veendam, and could not sail under the bridges.  We had to end the voyage downriver.

10 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

We sailed to Montreal on little Veendam, and could not sail under the bridges.  We had to end the voyage downriver.

Maybe due to the height of the river?  That has been a long standing issue for cruise ships that sail to/from Montreal at certain times of the year.  

• Like 1

Years ago I had a business meeting in Long Beach and I stayed at the Queen Mary Hotel.  One of the things I remembered was that there were taps labelled "Salt Water" in the bathroom.  I don't remember their purpose, but I do remember a comedian on a cruise, when mentioning stupid questions that guests ask, say something about  having salt water in the bathroom.  I don't think he realized that this once was an option.

• Like 1

• Thanks Prescottbob!  That was a well spend 1/2 watching that clip.  We probably wouldn't have been able to afford a trip on the QE back then but we are so happy with the memories we've had on HAL on other lines.  I hope we will soon be able to create new cruising memories.   Thanks again!
  • Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 4:52 PM, shipgeeks said:

Unless you mean an earlier Veendam, the "little" Veendam is over 57,000 gross tonnage, as compared with the smaller ships quoted above that were used.

On 5/17/2020 at 3:52 PM, shipgeeks said:

Yep. We did the Boston to Montreal sailing on Maasdam in 2011 and again in 2013. 2011 we couldn't get under the bridge due to Spring flooding so ended in Quebec City. We sailed on to Montreal fine in 2013.

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

I stayed at the Queen Mary Hotel.  One of the things I remembered was that there were taps labelled "Salt Water" in the bathroom.  

I have stayed at the Queen Mary Hotel as well.  In the bathroom for the tub, I recall there were 4 taps:  Salt Water Cold, Salt Water Hot, Fresh Water Cold, Fresh Water Hot.  Never turned on the Salt Water knobs:  probably would not have worked, anyway.

2 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

I notice that the staff are older than the staff of today, in most cases.

My most disappointing cruise was a trans-Atlantic 1980 crossing on QE2 in Tourist Class.  Many crew were unhappy because of whatever labor issues.  The one crew member whom I remember most fondly was a Deck Steward who was an older gentleman than the "younger ones" who provided much less than "White Star Service".  This gentleman provided the type of service that the video showed.

15 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I have stayed at the Queen Mary Hotel as well.  In the bathroom for the tub, I recall there were 4 taps:  Salt Water Cold, Salt Water Hot, Fresh Water Cold, Fresh Water Hot.  Never turned on the Salt Water knobs:  probably would not have worked, anyway.

My last stay there (January 11-14) the cold fresh worked but not the other 3 (there was also a standard mixing knob in the shower head--fresh water of course),.    I assume that's standard.  One of my favorite things there is the Sunday Brunch.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd