Finding an Oceania Travel Agent

corpkid

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Agreed. TA(gencies) may have limits set on what their TA(gents) can provide and compensation formulas may vary (as might added incentive funds from a cruise line).

In any case, my use of TA in this thread does ultimately refer to the agency. What they do with their half of the commission (in the simplest sharing scenario) is their business.

I'm just trying to give OP a ballpark understanding.

TBH I'm not really looking for much. I find the prices of O cruises to be fair (in general) and have never used the air. We sometimes take O excursions, but I think I can count the number of times on one hand.

I think I'm just looking for someone to handle all the crazy when things can and do go south I guess?

7 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

😢. That’s sad! You got him to retire, do a 6 month cruise and that happens! 

Hopefully we’ll soon sail together again ! 

🍷

He didn't retire (and neither did I - we were just going to do a 30 day segment - but ATW soon.  Like 25 years for me!  LOL).

Where are you all looking at going in the future?  We're looking at either TOKYO - SINGAPORE or SINGAPORE to DUBAI (May 2022).  Scheduled to sail on Crystal Ocean Sept. 2021 days Transatlantic from London.  Been doing back to back river cruises (they're pretty great) last year and year before.  

One thing you can do for now is to go on one of those sites where agents bid for your cruise -- I do not think that I can name the site.

If you enter the details of the cruise you want to book, you will likely get many bids and you can compare what the agents are offering.  One question you want to ask is what type of volume they do with Oceania.

Next time you are on a cruise, get recommendations from fellow cruisers.  Those of us who love are agents are quick to share.

• Like 2

On 5/20/2020 at 7:19 AM, corpkid said:

LOL.  On that point... Nobody seemed to answer this for me.  What do you ask for with your TA?

About to break into the 5+ club with Oceania (in 7 years).  And probably going to 8+ because of pent-up vacation time and desire. Do I have leverage? How do I not be a jerk and ask for concessions? I don't even know what to ask for.

No leverage.....but if you had use the same agent and demonstrated loyalty and a consistent spending pattern over the years....you would have earned leverage. 

First time booker's should not expect much   Its up to you to demonstrate that  you have a serious budget annually and intend to spend it with and agent who recognizes your value.   In turn  you dont  "back-door" the agent  if you want to get from him ever again.    Its mutual trust and respect ....... Tell the agent  what your annual budget is and you intentions for the future.  Be honest.

Once established you should then come to expect a  5% rebate , free gratuities,  and such   like  for they do group rate bookings. 

Ask up front that when you get established if he gives rebates $$$    Some do   some do not.   If not keep walking till you find one that respects your value potential     

Even though you have taken 5 cruises  it was not with a consistent agent....that is  a problem .  You have no history for him to evaluate  you as a customer..   

Same deal with Marriott... I have for 25 years stayed some 900 nights...  I get well taken care of because  I have a history..      Just like any business relation.    A first time Marriott customer  is not going to get an up grade to an Exec suite... or comped meals.       Same with cruise agent relations.       O  dosen't  want to back door their Agents...  and will never give you a deal that would beat ot hurt their agencies...   

These are the philosophies  I have practiced for 30 years......They work   both with O, the airlines and Marriott...   Building relations... just like  with a marriage  is on going.

• Like 2