getting to your river cruise and back - borders, bridges and bubbles

notamermaid

Authentication will be coordinated within the EU and I am sure Switzerland and the UK will come up with straightforward solutions that benefit us all. But beyond that it could be a mess. Who knows. I fully expect the complications to last us into Spring next year - with the potential for beyond that.

I was trying to get my head round managing a trip to England for 12 hours, i.e. hop over the channel. It looks impossible, but I have not found a definitive answer yet.

Here is one thing to be aware of when river cruising: make sure the regulations are clear for everyone in your party, like which nationality passport are they travelling on and where do they come from. I stumbled upon this when trying to sort going to England and the return leg, i.e. re-entering Germany via land transit. You may take your friend from Alaska, meet at an airport and find out your friend cannot enter the destination country whereas you can. A crude example, but with the Delta variant causing problems, make extra sure what the rules are.

The Netherlands have strict rules on entry from Britain, Belgium has just made the rules a bit tighter, France anyway.

Germany has just closed the gates on holidays in Portugal and Russia. Saint Petersburg is going downhill fast and is supposed to stage a football game. Oh, the mess and madness of it all!!

notamermaid

• 3 weeks later...

The Netherlands and Greece have just been declared risk zones again by the German government. This means that if you are not fully vaccinated you need a negative test upon entry to Germany. If this makes any difference to the hygiene protocols on your river cruise I cannot say, but it shows that we think the situation in the Netherlands is serious.

notamermaid