Wine Prices / Corkage Limits

skandls

I am a wine person who shleps bottles on planes trains and autos for my vacations. I get rather angry with the over the top pricing of wines on the ship. I do not understand why the cruise line charges 4 or 5 time RETAIL for wines. And then they want to set limits on what you can bring even if you are going to pay corkage. I remember the no corkage days. OK so if I am willing to pay $12 for my 2-buck-chuck or my cellar aged burgundy why are you limiting me to 2 bottles.

RCCL add some decent wines - fairly priced by the bottle and glass - Maybe even a WINE BAR with Tapas?? I would love a by the glass choice that was not bottom of the barrel or out of an over sized bottle or cardboard box.

OK I may be something of a wine snob but I am getting more and more annoyed with the ever changing liquor rules and corkage fees.

It is also up to your waiter if you will be charged the corkage fee. On our last cruise one couple at our table brought a bottle every night and were never charged a corkage fee. They ended up adding all the corkage fees to our waiters tip.

OK we will bring our 6 bottles and hope they pass inspection. I just get a little angry with the over the top charges for wine. Maybe I should drink more martinis and less wine?? Good to know corkage is still spotty - we will tip when we ask the wines be stored and served 'on request'. I guess I am a spoiled Californian - so many wines so little time.

Another wine slob, er, SNOB checking in here! The pricing on RCI is just ridiculous. I checked out the Celebrity (sister line, same corporate ownership) wine list, and they have one of our favorites, La Crema Chardonnay, for $33. On sale we pay $12.99, so that's just under 3x retail. RCI charges $38 for Rosemount Shiraz, which is $7.99 every day at Trader Joe's.

Hmmm. Maybe it's time to give Celebrity a try!

Yet another wine "slob" here! I LOVE it! Too funny!

A litre and a half of Rosemount Shiraz/Cab is $9.88 at Sam's every day, but has jumped to $19.95 at grocery stores. This is what our group planned on taking with us until we checked what RCCL sells...yep, that's one of them, except theirs is a straight shiraz. Hmmmmm......ya think we could get away with saying we absolutely MUST have that cab mix in there, and it MUST be served from large bottles??

M.

Archived