NCL Escape cruises for February 2021 no longer listed

We have never had a package that had a 15 drink limit. Usually, you can only get 1 drink at a time, per seapass card, though. That could depend on the bartender. It includes coffee and soda too, I think. I just drink the coffee in the buffet, so not positive.

Okay, our November cruise is officially cancelled. I was thinking of trying to talk DW into taking the SS Badger in October. It is only a 4 hour crossing so, why are there staterooms? If we don't want to take the car, are there things to see in Ludington, or is leaving the car a bad choice? Thanks!

This is a duplicate post

Edited by packercruising

On 7/30/2020 at 1:52 PM, farmersfight said:

The Badger is not too bad (cost). Lake Express is more and is on the expensive side, especially if you bring your car or truck. To see their prices, check out: https://www.ssbadger.com/

https://www.lake-express.com/

A lot of people do take the ferries over & back, just for fun, especially the Badger. She is designated as a National Historic Landmark and is the last coal-fired passenger steamer still operating in the U.S.

Badger crossing is 4 hrs each way compared to the Lake Express crossing which is only 2 1/2 hrs each way. Of the two, I would probably recommend taking the Badger for her historic significance, less expensive fare(s) and longer crossing time (if your taking her for fun, no hurry right?).

Okay, our November cruise is officially cancelled. I was thinking of trying to talk DW into taking the SS Badger in October. It is only a 4 hour crossing so, why are there staterooms? If we don't want to take the car, are there things to see in Ludington, or is leaving the car a bad choice? Thanks!

2 hours ago, packercruising said:

Hi packercruising,

Good question on the staterooms. Prior to the Badger being bought by her current owners (Lake Michigan Carferry or LMC) she primarily carried rail cars (also cars/trucks) and did mid/late night crossings, so some passengers paid the extra to get a stateroom. Additionally, she ran all year (prior to the Badger, it was the City of Midland 41). The current owner, LMC, changed the Badger's service to a more tourist/passenger vessel that could also carry their vehicles. Sometimes, the Badger will also carry on large semi-trucks or oversized loads. Also, they stopped operating her all year round and now just operate spring, summer & fall. Now, passengers still opt for a stateroom to: 1. have privacy  2. take a nap  3. put their young child(ren) down for a nap  4. and you can probably guess what a couple might get a stateroom for, lol.

Regarding bringing your car, I guess it depends how long you want to visit over on "this side of the pond". When I take the other ferry from here in Muskegon to Milwaukee, I'll usually rent a car (Lake Express has a partnership with Enterprise who have a kiosk at both the Milwaukee and Muskegon ferry terminals). I'm not sure if the Badger has the same type of partnership but getting a rental car would be easy anyway (worst case, a taxi ride away to a rental car lot in Ludington). As I mentioned in a previous post, cost to bring your car on the Badger is much more reasonable than the Lake Express. Obviously, whether it is worth it is entirely up to you.

For things to do/see in Ludington, I've posted Ludington's web site:

https://www.pureludington.com/Recreation?gclid=Cj0KCQjwg8n5BRCdARIsALxKb96GihUEFhx5IEkcer0gIv9r4fOSklSwkDkY8bPJPfdUCnql5riW-VkaAlN6EALw_wcB

Even for just Ludington, you may want your car or rent a car because the town is fairly large so it may not be "walker friendly".

A fun thing to do over here in West Michigan is Mac Woods dune rides in Silver Lake. Here's their website:

https://macwoodsdunerides.com/

Well, I hope you are successful in talking your DW in to taking a fresh water "cruise" on the Badger. To me. just the historical significance of the vessel would make the experience worthwhile. I found this very interesting documentary about the Badger on YouTube:

Apologize for the long post. I tend to run on sometimes. Best wishes to you and your DW, whatever you decide!

Edited by farmersfight

54 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

Hi packercruising,

Good question on the staterooms. Prior to the Badger being bought by her current owners (Lake Michigan Carferry or LMC) she primarily carried rail cars (also cars/trucks) and did mid/late night crossings, so some passengers paid the extra to get a stateroom. Additionally, she ran all year (prior to the Badger, it was the City of Midland 41). The current owner, LMC, changed the Badger's service to a more tourist/passenger vessel that could also carry their vehicles. Sometimes, the Badger will also carry on large semi-trucks or oversized loads. Also, they stopped operating her all year round and now just operate spring, summer & fall. Now, passengers still opt for a stateroom to: 1. have privacy  2. take a nap  3. put their young child(ren) down for a nap  4. and you can probably guess what a couple might get a stateroom for, lol.

Regarding bringing your car, I guess it depends how long you want to visit over on "this side of the pond". When I take the other ferry from here in Muskegon to Milwaukee, I'll usually rent a car (Lake Express has a partnership with Enterprise who have a kiosk at both the Milwaukee and Muskegon ferry terminals). I'm not sure if the Badger has the same type of partnership but getting a rental car would be easy anyway (worst case, a taxi ride away to a rental car lot in Ludington). As I mentioned in a previous post, cost to bring your car on the Badger is much more reasonable than the Lake Express. Obviously, whether it is worth it is entirely up to you.

For things to do/see in Ludington, I've posted Ludington's web site:

https://www.pureludington.com/Recreation?gclid=Cj0KCQjwg8n5BRCdARIsALxKb96GihUEFhx5IEkcer0gIv9r4fOSklSwkDkY8bPJPfdUCnql5riW-VkaAlN6EALw_wcB

Even for just Ludington, you may want your car or rent a car because the town is fairly large so it may not be "walker friendly".

A fun thing to do over here in West Michigan is Mac Woods dune rides in Silver Lake. Here's their website:

https://macwoodsdunerides.com/

Well, I hope you are successful in talking your DW in to taking a fresh water "cruise" on the Badger. To me. just the historical significance of the vessel would make the experience worthwhile. I found this very interesting documentary about the Badger on YouTube:

Apologize for the long post. I tend to run on sometimes. Best wishes to you and your DW, whatever you decide!

Certainly no need to apologise, I really appreciate the info. Thanks! Even if we just go there and come right back, I think it would be a lot of fun.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, packercruising said:

Certainly no need to apologise, I really appreciate the info. Thanks! Even if we just go there and come right back, I think it would be a lot of fun.

You're very much welcome. Yeah, during this Covid 19 time, it's been hard to travel...cruising being a prime example. I probably would've have taken the Lake Express to/from Milwaukee multiple times this summer if it weren't for this pandemic. Even this year, I could take the Lake Express over to Milwaukee and stay at a hotel for a couple/few nights but, what to do? Can't go to a Bucks basketball game or a Brewers baseball game, etc.

But lately, I've been seriously thinking about taking the Lake Express over to Milwaukee, bring my truck, spend a few nights in Milwaukee (probably spend most of my time at a brewpub, lol. With a mask of course. A mask with a hole in the front to put in a straw to drink my beer, lol). Then, drive up the Wisconsin coast to Manitowoc, stay a couple of nights there then get on the SS Badger for the crossing to Ludington, MI. Then, make the relatively short drive south back down to Muskegon, MI. I've even nicknamed this adventure "The Circuit" for obvious reasons. I've never taken my vehicle on either the Lake Express or the SS Badger, so it would be different/interesting.

As far as taking the SS Badger over to Ludington, MI and coming right back to Manitowoc, WI, you may have to stay overnight in Ludington because this year, she is only doing one round trip per day. She leaves Manitowoc, WI at 2 pm (CT) and arrives Ludington, MI at 7 pm (ET) each day/evening. The next crossing back to Manitowoc, WI wouldn't be until the next morning at 9 am (ET), arriving back there at 12 pm (CT). During "normal times" pre-Covid, the SS Badger would make two round trips per day, so you could come over to Michigan on the first return crossing from Wisconsin and then return back to Wisconsin the same day on the evening crossing. This season with Covid, LMC has cut her # of round trips in half (from 2 to 1) and cut her capacity in half (50%) for social distancing. I believe masks are required also. Their website has all the Covid related information.

As you can see, again I've gone on and on with a long post, lol. Guess I like talking about the ferries up here on Lake Michigan! Once again, best wishes to you and your DW whatever you decide! Take care.

Edited by farmersfight