Lugage size and Insurance

My wife and I will be taking our first cruise on the Jewel on 02-19-06. We have spent several hours over the past few days enjoying this site and all of the good information, hints, etc. We still have a couple of questions.

One of the postings we read talked about maximum luggage size and search as we might we can not find any information about what the maximum luggage size is; can anyone fill us in on what the maximum size is for Jewel?

We want to buy travel insurance for our trip but are not sure what to look for in a policy. The trip was given to us by a company that we do business with so we are not overly concerened with the costs associated with us having to cancel the cruise but we would feel more comfortable with health and/or accident insurance that would offer compensation for the costs associated with health care and or alternate transportation back home. What should one look for in a policy. Deductables? Can anyone reccomend a good insurance company from past experience. What should we expect to pay? Thanks in advance.

Only ten more days to go!

Airlines have been strictly enforcing a limit of 50lbs per checked bag. That's the main size concern. If you have one BIG enough (ie: physical dimensions) for them to charge extra, chances are it's more than 50 lbs fully packed too.

Tracy

Check the TSA Transprotation Security Administration website. I know our old very large luggage was too big so we had to buy new. I think the total ( l+ width + depth has to equal 62 inches or less. The website will give all the dimensions and weight of 50 lbs domestic and 70 lbs foreign.

If you are carrying your bag on with you on the plane or ship, it has to fit through the x-ray machine. We each carry a carry on with rollers with all our clothes and stuff in it and a smaller one with our toiletries, make up and meds in it. It's a breeze checking in and off the ship! If it fits through the x-ray machine, you are in business!

We purchased purple luggage for our cruise- easy to spot! The large cases are 28". We opted to take an extra case and underpack them all to avoid the 50lb weight limit. The large cases fit fine under the bed on the ship.

Now the problem is on the return, you can't weigh your luggage so your at the mercy of the gate agent....we are quite sure one of our cases was overweight and were prepared to pay the extra fee. The gate agent was very nice and we were chatting about the cruise, she hesitated when she weighed that piece but never said a word. We weight the case when we got home and it was 53 lbs, so maybe it paid to be nice. The other cases were at about 47 lbs each so we could have moved stuff to make the change, perhaps that was the reason. What ever it was we did not have to pay the extra $$. Strange in Miami after you check in, weigh then you have to drag your cases over the exam area and drop them off- why can't they just run them over on the belt? So be warned you will have to move them yourself, when we got to the AA area in the airport we found NO porters anywhere and a long way away were some of those trollys you can rent for a couple dollars. Luckly we were able to piggyback our luggage and move it all ourself.

Anyway, insurance- insuremytrip works great, you will be able to buy online and download the whole policy, make a copy to take with you.

Funcruiser

Airlines have been strictly enforcing a limit of 50lbs per checked bag. That's the main size concern. If you have one BIG enough (ie: physical dimensions) for them to charge extra, chances are it's more than 50 lbs fully packed too.

Tracy

My girlfriends suitcare was 53lbs when we left the house and she bought a couple things on the cruise. It probably weighed 60lbs or so coming back and no one at either airport said a word to us about the weight. I wouldn't suggest testing the system though as some airlines might charge you the extra fee for being overweight. I figure the airline attendents checking us in didn't look at the weight or didn't care. The website does say there is a $50 charge for any luggage over 50lbs. but we didn't have to pay anything.

If your suitcase is over 50lbs. I would suggest bringing a small carry-on and put some heavy things in that so your suitcase stays less than 50lbs.

Archived