Carnival vs. Costa

kchesneylover

I recently went on a Carnival Valor Cruise this past October. Now I have booked on the Costa Mediterranea and now I am concerned.

I have been reading countless reviews about Costa Cruising. I am dismayed. I heard the ship employees were rude, thoughtless and inconsiderate.

I have also read where people have had good reviews too. On the other hand, I have read the food was from cans and was horrible and tasteless.

I know a cruise is what you make of it. I know this. I know that many people went on this Italian line and have dissed it because maybe it wasn't Americanized.

The Carnival Valor was SO much fun! Now I am worried I have made a mistake.

Please someone ease my mind. I know I should have not read so many reviews and planted a bad seed in my head, but the damage is done.

I am going to:

Caso de Campo, Dominican Republic

Santo Domingo, " "

Nassau

St. Thomas

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Maybe I should have chosen Carnival. Now I am upset :(

**Edited to add that, yes, I know I should have read the reviews beforehand, but I wanted to cruise BADLY and this was the cheapest cruise I could find that went to these ports. I had never really given thought to Costa beforehand. I made the decision in haste.

Hey--when are you cruising on the Medeterranea? We are going 3/19--and have just booked on Carnival for September.

Some advice for you--don't worry about what other says. It's kind of like a movie review--some movies get bad reviews but you still end up liking them. Your cruise will be what you make of it. Hopefully--you will have a great time. We have been on many different cruises on many different lines, and they all have their good and bad points.

Don't worry too much.

CeleBrat

If you are that upset over booking then cancel. Costa is Italian and I doubt that the food is out of cans but may be cooked different that what we Americans are used to.

They cater mainly to the Europeons year round and bring a couple of ships over each winter for Caribbean runs. They are usually cheap as they have a difficult time in filling up their ship.

I personally have no desire to sail on their ships as I do not want to hear the daily annoucements in five languages and put up with the amount of smoke that everyone complains about.

In the end only you can put your fears at rest. If you are going with the attitude that you're not going to like then mostly likely you will not.

I was already for the Magica. and for some unknown reason my dw decided to read reviews ( a first), so for $1500 more (for 4) we're on the Miracle. Granted, part of the decision had to do with the itinerary, DR is not a hot spot. The bad part of the reviews I read were mostly about having to listen to announcements in several languages, and the food not being the 'american' view of what/how italian food should be eaten/presented. If you ever went to Italy, you would understand.... we eat it all wrong.

I think the 'Concept' of Costa is lost on most Americans. The line is owned by Carnival, it's just a different flavor! I was so looking forward to toga night! Go. enjoy, carnival, toga, toga, toga :)

I hear what you're saying cruisingator2 and I agree with you. I am just nervous as I am not a seasoned cruiser. And I am not going to cancel my cruise, because I will probably have a great time (and its paid in full!!;) ).

Don't get me wrong, I am excited. I am going to the beautiful St. Thomas and ferry over to Trunk Bay, St. Johns to snorkel!

Thanks for easing my mind.

Hi...my 3 cents worth.

My DW and I have cruised 7 times now-on the Destiny 5/14/06-first Carnival Cruise. We have been on the Princess 4 times, Holland Am. twice, and the Costa Med. once.(about 2 cruises ago) My wife and I love to cruise. We had some concerns about the Costa(probably after reading some things said about it), but the price was very good. We thought the ship was very very nice. The food we enjoyed, the ship, we thought was beautiful, and all staff treated us very well !! We had a balcony cabin as we always have. Yes, once in a while you get tired of the announcements made 4 times, but not that bad. We would definitely go on the Costa line again :) Sincerely, Knarf (Frank backwards)

:eek: My husband & I will not go on a Costa Cruise again. We were on the Costa Classica about 2 years ago, and they allowed cigar smoke inside, there is cigarette smoking everywhere, the continual announcements were annoying, and there were quite a high number of very rude and pushy Europeans. Mind you, the cabin was nice, the food was good, and the ports were interesting. Oh yes, and everything had to be paid in Euros! Imagine almost $4 for a Coca-cola! I am a "veteran" of Holland America, Princess, RCCL, Carnival, American Hawaii, and the Seawind Crown, and have been on about 12 cruises, i've been on the bad and the good, so I know what I like, and believe me, Costa is a line I personally would not travel on again.

Good luck!

We Were On The Costa Mediterrania Last April And Loved It! The Ship Was Beautiful And The Food Was Much Better Than I Had Expected. I Like The Nice Touch At Dinner Every Night - Great Basket Of Breadsticks And A Plate Of Prociutte (?) And Hard Cheese It Was Awesome!!! We Also Loved The Theme Nights And The Roman Toga Night Was A Blast. Enjoy You Will Love It.

We Are Sailing On The Elation Late May, We Would Have Booked Costa Again But They Go To Europe Starting The Second Week Of April.

Ps - A Great Thing With Costa Is The Boys And Girls Drink Tickets Unlike The Other Ships Were You Can Only Get Soda And Juice, On Costa You Can Also Get Any Frozen Non-alchoholic Bev. Virgin Pina Coladas, Pink Panthers, Etc. They Are The Regular Size Drinks Too! Everyother Ship Charges Anywhere From $4.05 - $7.00 For This On Costa It Costs About $2.50 With The Tickets! You Can Buy Them Onboard From Any Bar. Eat, Drink And Be Merry............. Happy Cruisin';)

If you are that upset over booking then cancel. Costa is Italian and I doubt that the food is out of cans but may be cooked different that what we Americans are used to.

They cater mainly to the Europeons year round and bring a couple of ships over each winter for Caribbean runs. They are usually cheap as they have a difficult time in filling up their ship.

I personally have no desire to sail on their ships as I do not want to hear the daily annoucements in five languages and put up with the amount of smoke that everyone complains about.

In the end only you can put your fears at rest. If you are going with the attitude that you're not going to like then mostly likely you will not.

Being a non smoker I too was concerned about the smoke. We had no problem at all. The ships smoking policy was like any other ship that sails the Carib. Smoking allowed in specified areas only. So if this is your main concern I would not discount Costa because of this! As for the food, Yes it was a little different, but I must say I was very surprised to find the food much better than I expected. Actually very good! Costa is a great value for the money the cabins are larger than on most ships and the ship itself was beautiful (Mediterrania) The crew as very nice aswell. We had no problems at all.

One thing Costa is good for is upgrades. When we sailed in April 05 we (me and my Hubby and in another cabin our sister and brother-in law) were all booked in an 1A Guarantee inside cabin lowest price on board, we were both upgraded to balcony cabins!!!

Give them a try I think you will not be sorry...........;)

I'm not an experienced cruiser, but I do think that a vacation is what you make of it. THe reviews are supposed to help you, but they are biased. If you're one of those people that is just happy to be away from home, experiencing new things and all, then I wouldn't worry about it. :D You still don't have to do the dishes all week, or go to work. :)

Archived