Box lunches

Bristol

No tourist oriented business is going to contaminate a tourist. But I can see a tourist buying fruit in a market and washing it off with unpurified water without thinking, for example.

Even in the United States, a bad meal is served once in a while. *it happens.

But any restaurant is going to be serving purified water, ice, etc.

http://www.eagleraydivers.com/Drinkthewater.htm

Cruizer2. Montezuma is dead. Eighteen cruises, a one week vacation to the interior of the Yucatan and a two week to the interior. 8 or 9 visits to Cozumel and a vacation to Cancun. Not one problem from food or drink including eating meals in very small rural villages. Do you really think those restaurants want to make you (or the locals) sick. Please explain your logic. Of course in the tourist spots the restaurants are full of gringos enjoying the local cuisine.

Did you read your post and my reply before posting the above?

Your post, the one I replied to says ...

"One of the highlights of foreign, OR EVEN DOMESTIC, travel is trying new foods." Emphasis added by me.

Your post, the one I referred to referred to the entire world. My post made no reference to Mexico. Why then did you assume I was referring to Mexico when you wrote the above? Montezuma's revenge, as you referred to it, can be caused by bad water, bad food, or (the one I was thinking of) simply a sudden change in diet, even if there is nothing wrong with the food or water.

Your sudden reference to Mexico, when no such reference was made in either of the two prior posts is insulting to Mexico and Mexicans. I have spent three weeks and several days in Mexico in the last 12 years and I have never had a problem. However, the same cannot be said for my experiences closer to home, including the fine state of California (and some southern states which will remain nameless).

Next time, if you don't know what someone is saying, why don't you try asking, instead of assuming something which is not true. Which brings me to the question, why did you think I was referring to Mexico? So me anywhere in my post or your post (the one I replied to) where any mention of Mexico is made?

Uh, welcome to the boards, but did you read ANY of the above posts? The majority of us are saying do NOT take anything off the ship. I suggest you read previous posts prior to posting your comments.:)

So only the "majority" suggestions count???

Maybe she read the above comments and thinks the majorities opinion is bunk.

I thought this was a board for people to post their suggestions. I didn't know you had to be a sheep and agree with the "majority".

There are some ships excursions that will provide box lunches for the excursion, but it will specifically say that when you book it. Most excursions provide some sort of eats, usually on the so-so side.

One thing to remember is that their idea of lunch might be different than yours. We took a bus tour to the Mayan ruins at Tulum and lunch was provided. We received a "Coke" brand drink, a banana, a muffin, a pack of peanuts and pack of crackers. ( I think I have it correct maybe left something out). It definately didn't fit our normal views of "lunch".

I do believe they were also trying to stick with pre-packaged products for convenience and possibly peace of mind for some travelers. My daughter wouldn't eat any of the things they provided but I did carry a few packs of peanut butter crackers, fruit gummies and cereal bars in our fanny packs. I brought these specifically for our excursions so that we would have a quick snack handy if none were available and what we had left we used as snacks for the long car ride home.

I find a few zip lock baggies and a trip to the buffet works great for port visits. We like to fill our baggies the night before so we can get "real" food instead of just breakfast items (although the muffins are good).

I don't trust eating the food in port (have you ever been to supermarket in Mexico? I have, and believe me, you wouldn't want to eat anything that came from there!), plus I don't like wasting time or money in port on eating. I prefer items that I know are safe and that I can just carry with me.

:rolleyes: Basically, what I'm saying is that it's against the country/islands LAWS to take food on shore. I think that we, as visitors, should respect their laws.

I stress this because some folks who come to Cruise Critic for advice don't KNOW this. Some see the title of a thread and add their own comments without reading any other posts in that thread. It's meant to be informative, and if they would read an entire thread before posting, they might see things in a different light...ok?

:rolleyes: Basically, what I'm saying is that it's against the country/islands LAWS to take food on shore. I think that we, as visitors, should respect their laws.

ACTUALLY, what I've learned from these boards and through my own independent research after being called an "UGLY AMERICAN" for voicing my intent to take a roast beef sandwich with me to Port, is:

Its against SOME countries laws to take SOME specific foods unless it is DECLARED. As long as you declare what you are taking, you are not violating certain laws.... Declaration appears to be the key in many cases.

What I don't know yet is what specific laws apply to which specific countries and exactly how one goes about "Declaring" when leaving the ship.

I can handle being called an "Ugly American", and respect some people's passions, but it seems some on these boards tend to make generalizations and quote "the law" even if they dont really know what "the law" is.

People are entitled to their opinions, and certainly entitled to attempt to educate people who don't know things but sometimes the passion and advice turns downright nasty and rude. That's where it truly becomes "Ugly".

I find a few zip lock baggies and a trip to the buffet works great for port visits. We like to fill our baggies the night before so we can get "real" food instead of just breakfast items (although the muffins are good).

I don't trust eating the food in port (have you ever been to supermarket in Mexico? I have, and believe me, you wouldn't want to eat anything that came from there!), plus I don't like wasting time or money in port on eating. I prefer items that I know are safe and that I can just carry with me.

Oh boy, are you going to hear it from hdawson. I did, and my post never even mentioned Mexico.

Another trick is to take an empty but clean garbage pail with you to the Captains party and the past guest party. Order as many alcoholic drinks as humanly possible and just keep dumping them in the garbage pail. When you get back to your room then ask the steward for a lot of ice, empty plastic soda bottles and an oar. Rinse the oar, dump the ice in and stir the contents of the pail like crazy. Rinse out the empty soda bottles and pour the "punch" into the bottles, make sure you have the caps too. Place the caps on and make sure each bottle has a fair amount of ice in it.

When you get to your excursion sip your concoction slowly while giggling to yourself about how smart you are, all the while eating your pirated buffet leavings.:eek:

Archived