Crystal River Cruise 2021 - Cancellation timing

BrendaJ

Hello all

I have a Crystal river cruise booked for May 2021 and feel like it is very unlikely that we will be able to take that cruise, judging by our COVID-19 numbers and those in Europe.   The EU is currently banning Canadians from entering.  Final payment was to be January 2021, but I thought I read somewhere that final payments are now just 60 days out?   Having read about Genting’s financial issues and past passenger’s issues in receiving refunds for cancelled cruises, I feel like we are best off cancelling now rather than waiting till final payment.   We purchased cancellation insurance through Manulife but I suspect we would not be able to make a claim for our deposit and administration fee unless Crystal themselves cancels the cruise, and if they are like other lines, they will probably not cancel until past the final payment date.  I would like to avoid making the final payment, even though I know our insurance would cover that, as we booked this cruise in 2019.   My insurance claim for a cruise we did in March 2020 was just processed last week.

Does anyone have advice on what the best plan of action might be?  

I know that the Crystal board doesn't like River Cruise threads over there (more so the mods don't like it) - I think that board can be more helpful to you. Maybe post on the refund thread over there. There is info about admin fees over there also.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

Most companies want final payment 90 days before... I am surprised Crystal wants it before that. I would hold on until final payment is due before making any decisions.    And, if you get to final payment - and things are still unsettled - I would ask them if they would move the final payment back.  They would, I am sure, prefer to delay final payment than accept payment and then have to pay the entire amount back. 

Also, at the time of final payment, look at what the Canadian government is saying about travel.  If there are still travel advisories - and Crystal won't delay final payment - then I would cancel and contact Manulife for a refund of any monies paid out.  A national travel advisory supports your decision to cancel, and request a refund.  

We had cancellation insurance for a trip that was booked in early October.  Avalon cancelled and we got our money back quickly.  But, our insurance company said a travel advisory - for a trip booked before the advisory came into effect - was reason enough to cancel.

Fran

• Like 1