Ship Knowledge Geniuses, Please answer

Giventofly

Could someone please explain to me the correct term/name and purpose of the Toe shaped protrusion of the bow on most sea going ships, just under the waterline?

I have enough of a basic grasp of physics to understand that it would probably help to reduce resistance, but am I right, and does it have a technichal name?

I stole this link from the Radiance Drydock Thread:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f139/szcruz/radiance/18bowview2.jpg

It is definintly for better gas mileage for lack of a better word. FYI when the Jewel of the Seas came to Boston in 2004 on her maiden voyage the ship did a couplke of trips from Boston to Canada and on one of the trips she rammed a whale and dragged it all the way to Canada unnoticed.

It's also a wave/wake buster,(keeps wake at a minimum) not sure of the offical name....

Found this;

What is a bulbous bow? as a ship moves through water the bow produces a wave; the bulbous bow produces a wave in front of the ship that reduces the wave action and the drag effect of the water What benefits does this shape provide? the bow reduces resistance, which allows the ship to travel faster.

I guess it's called a "buffer bow".

Giventofly - this is totally off-topic, but I noticed your photo at the natural bridge in Aruba. You stated 'before it fell'. It really fell?? My hubby and I have the same pic that you have with us in front of it 4/04. That's really too bad that that happened :(

It's called a bulbous bow, and it reduces drag to increase fuel efficiency. This link will explain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulbous_bow

OMG!! thanks.....I actually thought that might have been the word...but it just seemed too obvious to be right and my wife told me that I was full of it. I mean when does a technichal term actually describe the item? I honestly thought that I just made up that word. My wife often accuses me of making up words to answer her questions...and on this one I believed her. Then, when I went to do a search for it, I couldn't remember the word!!!!

Thanks for the answer, and the Wiki link, as well!

:) :) :) :)

Giventofly - this is totally off-topic, but I noticed your photo at the natural bridge in Aruba. You stated 'before it fell'. It really fell?? My hubby and I have the same pic that you have with us in front of it 4/04. That's really too bad that that happened :(

Yeah....very sad...Did you click on the google link in my sig? It's a really cool satellite pic of the bridge.

Here's a link to some "after" pics. http://www.pbase.com/rwerleman/nb_2005

Archived