So I checked with my Blue Cross, and I'm indeed covered for overseas medical expenses!  This is great news.  But of course it doesn't cover the other issues that come up and are covered by other plans - lost luggage, emergency travel if needed, transportation, etc.

Are the some plans that don't include medical?  I think we should take one of these for sure.

18 hours ago, mbviking2023 said:

So I checked with my Blue Cross, and I'm indeed covered for overseas medical expenses!  This is great news.  But of course it doesn't cover the other issues that come up and are covered by other plans - lost luggage, emergency travel if needed, transportation, etc.

Are the some plans that don't include medical?  I think we should take one of these for sure.

Hi mbviking2023,

There are no plans that don't include medical.

When you asked Blue Cross, did they tell you that you are covered 100% with no deductibles and copays?

If not, call them back and ask this: “If I get hit by a cement truck in the Caribbean (or another destination), how much will I have to pay out of pocket?”

I wrote about how to do this in my Blog a little over 12 years ago:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/blog/does-your-health-insurance-cover-you-outside-the-usa/

In addition, if you are on Medicare with Medicare Supplements you bought, read this:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/medicare-does-not-cover-you-outside-the-usa/

I hope this helps,

Steve Dasseos

• Like 1

MY BCBS covers me out of country also.

However, I asked some very specific questions

No, they don't pay upfront.

Yes, they will reimburse but at "Out of Network" costs

Will they pay for "evacuation"? Yes, but only to the nearest medical facility. (Follow-up) Will they pay to get me back home after the emergency but to a facility nearer to home for necessary continued care? No

Will they pay to bring my body back home should I pass away while on vacation? No

Let's say the facility requires cash payment up front, will BCBS fax some upfront credit or provide a letter as proof of coverage and ability to pay? No

These are reasons I still get medical coverage when I travel outside my home country.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 5:38 PM, mbviking2023 said:

Is this a BCBS Medicare Supplement policy?  If so, is there coverage limit?  $50,000?