Home Affairs Says All Foreign-Flagged Cruise Ships Must Employ Aussie Staff

I asked a young Indian Assistant Waiter why he had started working on the cruiseships. He said that he intended to work long enough to go home and buy a house. He said - where I live , no house no wife!!! :) 

1 hour ago, MelbTone said:

But presumably you would allow a deduction for accommodation, food etc. What does an au-pair or live-in nanny get paid all found?

Yes but that would be taken out of their pay I would assume. It's just living expences like the rest have to pay.

Leigh

13 hours ago, MelbTone said:

But presumably you would allow a deduction for accommodation, food etc. What does an au-pair or live-in nanny get paid all found?

Crew on cruise ships have accommodation, food, transport to the ship and also medical as part of their salary package. It would be interesting to see how the ATO assessed these 'fringe benefits' for Australian crew working on Australian ships. Fringe Benefits Tax at the rate of 47% is payable by the employer. With Aussie crew probably wanting a higher monthly salary and FBT payable, Aussies would cost the cruise companies much more than their usual workforce.

• Like 1