Which June 2022 itinerary should we choose?

amypet

38 minutes ago, amypet said:

I have no idea yet about how to spend the overnight in Istanbul, but would love to crowd source ideas. 🙂

We visited Istanbul in 2014. On the first day we took a private (just the two of us) walking tour with a fantastic guide. The second day we went to the Grand Bazaar and shopped.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Any suggestions on how you would spend your time in Istanbul?

I pulled the trigger and put down a deposit on cruise 1 (Turkey) for June 13. Here's hoping that it'll go ahead. Its my understanding that as long as we booked before the end of the month, we can take advantage of Cruise with Confidence in case the world goes sideways again and plans go awry. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OP, Good Pick! Of course I’d say that if you picked the 2nd one…hehehe. 

Since your ship pulls in Sat mid-day and stays through Sunday, I’d go to the Grand Bazaar on Saturday since it’s closed Sunday. And I’d not do a tour, I’d get a taxi and head to it. There is also the Spice Bazaar near the Grand Bazaar and lets of neat places near it. Even overnight, I usually dine on board (I love when people ask me where is a great restaurant in a port and I point back at the ship and say, ‘Great menu….and Cheap!!’. But Istanbul I would definitely dine in town and take advantage of so much great Turkish dishes. I’d recommend a rooftop restaurant such a s 16 Roof or I think another was Grace rooftop. There was a very nice one next to our loal hotel and I’m trying to find it but lost it’s name. 

There are a Ton of fun places including the Grand Bazaar and lots of corner places to dine also. But Eat In Town whenever you can!!

On night, we joined a  demonstration of the Whirlling Durbish. It’s a religious event and people are asked to dress properly and to realize what is being shown. Outstanding. Great music and dance.

For Sunday, I’d get a tour or private tour of the Hagia Sophia or the Blue Mosque. Both open and fantastic.

We did a Hop-On-Off around Istanbul one day but I’d not recommend it. It was OK, but the Old Istanbul area is pretty small and I’d concentrate on that, and its across the bridge from where you’ll normally dock. Pretty Close.  

Den

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Denny01 said:

OP, Good Pick! Of course I’d say that if you picked the 2nd one…hehehe. 

Since your ship pulls in Sat mid-day and stays through Sunday, I’d go to the Grand Bazaar on Saturday since it’s closed Sunday. And I’d not do a tour, I’d get a taxi and head to it. There is also the Spice Bazaar near the Grand Bazaar and lets of neat places near it. Even overnight, I usually dine on board (I love when people ask me where is a great restaurant in a port and I point back at the ship and say, ‘Great menu….and Cheap!!’. But Istanbul I would definitely dine in town and take advantage of so much great Turkish dishes. I’d recommend a rooftop restaurant such a s 16 Roof or I think another was Grace rooftop. There was a very nice one next to our loal hotel and I’m trying to find it but lost it’s name. 

There are a Ton of fun places including the Grand Bazaar and lots of corner places to dine also. But Eat In Town whenever you can!!

On night, we joined a  demonstration of the Whirlling Durbish. It’s a religious event and people are asked to dress properly and to realize what is being shown. Outstanding. Great music and dance.

For Sunday, I’d get a tour or private tour of the Hagia Sophia or the Blue Mosque. Both open and fantastic.

We did a Hop-On-Off around Istanbul one day but I’d not recommend it. It was OK, but the Old Istanbul area is pretty small and I’d concentrate on that, and its across the bridge from where you’ll normally dock. Pretty Close.  

Den

Den, Thank you so much for the wonderful tips. Having dinner at a rooftop restaurant in Istanbul sounds amazing! I truly hope the ones you mention are still open.

...Now I just need *next* summer to get here already😉