Big change to UK sailings

boxman52

4 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

I agree, key now is for anyone who has not had their second jab to try and bring it forward even if it means trying to find a  walk and queueing, don't just hope for freedom day on 19/07.

I volunteer at vaccination clinics. Here they are now offering 2nd jab anytime from 3 weeks after first when we are doing walk ins. Yesterday we had loads of space and no queue, people who turned up were in and out in 20mins. This was at a local pharmacy rather than one of the big centres so maybe worth looking out for.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In light of the bonkers rates of Delta. Its tough, but probably for the best at the moment. And hopefully this vaccine avoiding 'Lambda; variant dies a death here in the school holidays! https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.06.28.21259673v1.full.pdf . My cruise is supposed to be in December (Chrimble & NY cruise from Martinique) and although I'm a positive chap. its flippin tough to plan ahead or dare to get your hopes up even a tiny bit (although I'm trying!).

• 2 weeks later...

We're on the 31 July Virtuosa sailing and have just received an Important Information e-mail, including this part about Pre-boarding COVID-19 rules: 

All guests who are not fully vaccinated, specifically those who are under 18 years of age, who are medically exempt in relation to vaccination, who have not yet received their second vaccine dose, or who will be less than 14 days since their second dose at the time of departure of the cruise, will need to have taken a PCR (molecular) or antigen (lateral flow) test within the last 72 hours prior to arrival at the terminal for embarkation. Proof of a negative test result will be requested at the terminal and acceptable evidence includes an email, SMS, or other printed document. Proof of a negative test result is mandatory in order to be permitted to board. This requirement to test negative prior to coming to the terminal is not applicable to those guests who can evidence that they are fully vaccinated and guests under 2 years old. 

This doesn't affect us, as we're fully vaccinated, but I read the above to mean that over 18's who have only had first vaccine, or second too recently, CAN sail, with the 72 hour rest rule applying. The sailing is after the 19 July general rules relaxation, so perhaps that's why the 18 years old rule wasn't what I thought it was (which was fully vaccinated, or no sail).

Incidentally, the government's rules on UK cruises still says:

It is expected that England will move to Step 4 on 19 July, though the data will be reviewed after 2 weeks in case the risks have reduced.

By step 4, the government hopes to remove all legal limits on social contact. This includes removing guidance concerning capacity limits for domestic cruises.

To me, that second paragraph means that, after 19 July, cruise ships can increase capacity back to full.