MSC extends ban on US citizens through July 15

DCGuy64

I logged into our reservation and now see that MSC has extended its ban on US and non-Schengen area residents through July 15. I called MSC and was told it was a "corporate decision." The representative told me she had no information regarding our August 28 sailing. Obviously, since it's next month, I'm getting a little nervous. She told me our options were to move the booking to another date or get a refund, in the event that MSC continues to restrict US residents by the time we're supposed to sail. On the bright side, they answered the phone right away! ☺️

image.png

19 minutes ago, Até said:

By "refund" do they mean a FCC?  I would expect you'd have to wait until MSC actually cancels you to actually get a refund back to your form of payment.

No, I believe they mean an actual cash refund, but it's possible they mean FCC. However, moving the booking seems basically the same as FCC to me. It's tricky, because if MSC doesn't cancel the sailing, but doesn't allow us as US residents to sail, is that actually a cancellation? We'll have to wait and see.

28 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

No, I believe they mean an actual cash refund, but it's possible they mean FCC. However, moving the booking seems basically the same as FCC to me. It's tricky, because if MSC doesn't cancel the sailing, but doesn't allow us as US residents to sail, is that actually a cancellation? We'll have to wait and see.

If you move the booking I'm pretty sure MSC will be treating it as a cancellation under Total CruiseFlex, where you get a FCC only.  If you wait it out and eventually if MSC cancels you will likely get a 100% FCC plus $200 OBC with the option to request a cash refund later.  Remember the post by Bgwest last month when they got cancelled?

https://mailchi.mp/a26b85bb6d54/test1-your-future-cruise-credit-is-ready-6629217?e=8245eae993

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2784954-musica-and-preziosa-cancellations/

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Até said:

If you move the booking I'm pretty sure MSC will be treating it as a cancellation under Total CruiseFlex, where you get a FCC only.  If you wait it out and eventually if MSC cancels you will likely get a 100% FCC plus $200 OBC with the option to request a cash refund later.  Remember the post by Bgwest last month when they got cancelled?

https://mailchi.mp/a26b85bb6d54/test1-your-future-cruise-credit-is-ready-6629217?e=8245eae993

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2784954-musica-and-preziosa-cancellations/

I'll check that out later, unfortunately I'm really behind at work, I have a Zoom meeting at 2, a doctor's appointment at 3, have to pick up both my and my wife's cars at the shop (two different places), and then I have a rehearsal tonight. It's rather a busy day. I don't really care about whether we get cash or FCC, I just know we need to make a decision soon about whether to sail next month or not and I find it's stressing me out not knowing whether our cruise is a go or not. Bye for now...

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

I'll check that out later, unfortunately I'm really behind at work, I have a Zoom meeting at 2, a doctor's appointment at 3, have to pick up both my and my wife's cars at the shop (two different places), and then I have a rehearsal tonight. It's rather a busy day. I don't really care about whether we get cash or FCC, I just know we need to make a decision soon about whether to sail next month or not and I find it's stressing me out not knowing whether our cruise is a go or not. Bye for now...

Just relax, you don't need to do anything.

If MSC decides that they are not allowing non Europeans to board in August, then they will automatically cancel your particular booking and give  you a 100% FCC plus $200 OBC

Again, you don't need to do anything just relax! Don't stress about a holiday

PS --I hope you haven't booked any flight tickets or hotels which are not refundable

Edited by drsel

1 hour ago, drsel said:

Just relax, you don't need to do anything.

If MSC decides that they are not allowing non Europeans to board in August, then they will automatically cancel your particular booking and give  you a 100% FCC plus $200 OBC

Again, you don't need to do anything just relax! Don't stress about a holiday

PS --I hope you haven't booked any flight tickets or hotels which are not refundable

Your last sentence is the key.  I was in the same situation as DCGuy64, I also do not have Schengen residency but to make it even worse I booked before Total CruiseFlex was started so if I had to cancel I would lose all money paid to MSC.  Then additionally there's the issue with ensuring vacation time,  flights, hotels, etc....   I've been forced to cancel several sailings before final payment not just because of the uncertainty of MSC cancelling me but also because of the uncertainty of being forced to sail under conditions I might find unacceptable.  I really didn't want to give up those sailings but now feel a sense of calm about my future plans.

It's only my opinion but I feel DCGuy64 was willing to make the final payment mainly because of the ability to cancel for a FCC.  I don't think they are worried about the protocols on the ship.  But once the level of uncertainty whether MSC let's non-Schengens on the ship and fear of a last minute cancellation causing collateral costs becomes too great he needs to leave the booking and make new plans.  There are very often both monetary and emotional costs to doing nothing and continue waiting.

Have just a minute to respond before having to leaving the house again. The issue for me is less about OBC and more about our vacation plans. We are GOING somewhere next month, and I'd hoped it'd be a cruise. We have nonrefundable business class airline tickets (nonrefundable doesn't mean we're screwed, it just means we can't get a refund-we have until April 2023 to change to a different flight but we got a GREAT deal on the tickets so any change would mean a likely MUCH higher price). If we need to change our plans and do a landbased vacation, I need to know as soon as possible so I can book hotels. If we decide to cruise with another line, time is running out so I'd need to rebook. I understand that things are changing, but MSC really can't expect people to just hang on the line one month before sailing. There's no rule against Americans traveling to Italy and Costa is allowing them, so what's the problem with MSC? I'll give them until the end of this month, but come August 1, if they're still keeping us in suspense, we're booking something else. I'd just like to know what the rationale behind their decision is. We're both fully vaccinated, too. 🤷‍♂️

PS we do have a pre-cruise hotel in Trieste booked but it's refundable.

• Like 1

I only booked refundable flights, using points, and refundable hotels so cancellation didn't hurt me financially.  But, as mentioned, where I lose out is when I booked quite a while back when there were some decent deals, now if I want to make alternative replacement plans I will not be able to get anywhere near a similar value.

Now we’re planning a land based trip to several cities as a backup just in case. There are some friends we want to see in Rome and we’ve always wanted to visit the Amalfi coast. So that’s our alternative. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Now we’re planning a land based trip to several cities as a backup just in case. There are some friends we want to see in Rome and we’ve always wanted to visit the Amalfi coast. So that’s our alternative. 

I recommend you stay 4 nights in Sorrento.

The very first evening is enough to tour the whole of Sorrento( walking & sightseeing tram).

From the Sorrento main train station, there is a local bus that goes all the way to Amalfi.

You can hop off anytime and visit Positano, Priano and the Emerald grotto as well as Amalfi, all in one day.

Another day would be required for climbing to the top of mount Vesuvius and doing the tour of the ruins of Pompeii.

The 4th day would be required for a full day tour of Capri and anacapri

• Like 2

16 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I logged into our reservation and now see that MSC has extended its ban on US and non-Schengen area residents through July 15. I called MSC and was told it was a "corporate decision." The representative told me she had no information regarding our August 28 sailing. Obviously, since it's next month, I'm getting a little nervous. She told me our options were to move the booking to another date or get a refund, in the event that MSC continues to restrict US residents by the time we're supposed to sail. On the bright side, they answered the phone right away! ☺️

image.png

Yes, the ban is set to be lifted 4 days before my sail date. I am not holding on too much hope of getting on that ship. 😢 Very disappointing and frustrating, but we do have our landbased Italy plans in the works! 🇮🇹

2 hours ago, MajestyCat said:

Yes, the ban is set to be lifted 4 days before my sail date. I am not holding on too much hope of getting on that ship. 😢 Very disappointing and frustrating, but we do have our landbased Italy plans in the works! 🇮🇹

Be careful the MScCruises.com website states that the ban on non Europeans is till 31st July 2021.

19 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I logged into our reservation and now see that MSC has extended its ban on US and non-Schengen area residents.

image.png

My October Mediterranean Cruise does not have these words beneath the photograph--

"Covid travel restrictions for US residents and residents of non Schengen countries have been extended to July 15"

Probably because it does not apply to me and because by October, both MSC and I expect that all nationalities who are fully vaccinated will be allowed to enter Europe and also board all the cruises

Edited by drsel

1 hour ago, drsel said:

My October Mediterranean Cruise does not have these words beneath the photograph--

"Covid travel restrictions for US residents and residents of non Schengen countries have been extended to July 15"

Probably because it does not apply to me and because by October, both MSC and I expect that all nationalities who are fully vaccinated will be allowed to enter Europe and also board all the cruises

Yes, since you're not going until October, the ban likely won't be in effect anymore.

1 hour ago, drsel said:

Be careful the MScCruises.com website states that the ban on non Europeans is till 31st July 2021.

Yes, I know. 😢 I guess part of me wants to believe that a company couldn’t be so cruel as to KNOW they would not be letting certain passengers onboard an upcoming cruise and just not tell them. However, I know that is foolish of me. Like @DCGuy64 though - we will be traveling to Italy for our vacation regardless of MSC’s decision!! We will either switch to Costa or we will explore Italy own our own by land. (Appreciate your suggestions on the Amalfi coast, by the way! 😃) And if they cancel we will be requesting a refund and NEVER booking with MSC again. 💁🏻‍♀️

5 minutes ago, MajestyCat said:

Yes, I know. 😢 I guess part of me wants to believe that a company couldn’t be so cruel as to KNOW they would not be letting certain passengers onboard an upcoming cruise and just not tell them. However, I know that is foolish of me. Like @DCGuy64 though - we will be traveling to Italy for our vacation regardless of MSC’s decision!! We will either switch to Costa or we will explore Italy own our own by land. (Appreciate your suggestions on the Amalfi coast, by the way! 😃) And if they cancel we will be requesting a refund and NEVER booking with MSC again. 💁🏻‍♀️

I'm annoyed, too, especially since I NEVER, and I mean NEVER, plan overseas trips at the last minute. I do lots of research (which I enjoy doing) and book way in advance. The fact that our cruise is only 52 days away and I still don't know if we're going or not is causing me a great deal of stress. I don't have the time to do it right now, but I'm going to have to start researching hotels in anticipation of doing a land based vacation. I'm irritated at MSC's lack of information about WHY they're continuing to disallow non-Schengen area residents when other lines like Costa aren't.

Edited by DCGuy64