How do I know if my scheduled cruise will be a "bubble" cruise?

Maggers

Hi all.  I hope I'm not repeating a thread or have missed something obvious.  We are booked on the Greek Odyssey itinerary leaving Athens on Oct 1.  Our shore excursions recently opened up and we are busy booking and researching.  I've noticed that no excursions end with language stating that you can spend time on your own.  In many ports there are only morning excursions which would leave the rest of the day on the ship if we're not allowed to venture off on our own.  Is there any way to tell at this point if we'll be allowed to explore independently?  Not sure how to find this out. Or if there is an answer available now.

An example of excursion description:

Rhodes Town Walk & Palace of the Grand Masters

INCLUDED

Day 9 – Rhodes, Greece

Thursday, October 7

8:30 AM / 9:30 AM / VIEW ALL

2.5 Hours

MODERATE

UNESCO

SIGHTSEEING

Get an excellent overview of the Old Town of Rhodes, Europe’s largest active medieval town. You will enjoy a walking tour of this UNESCO World Heritage Site. Meet your guide at our berth and walk the short distance to the city walls, passing through the imposing gate to explore the atmospheric cobblestone streets. First, head to the Street of the Knights, a narrow byway with medieval structures rising on either side. You will pass colorful shops and the 15th-century Hospital of the Knights, now home to a splendid archaeological museum. This historic lane ends at the most colossal building of medieval Rhodes, the Palace of the Grand Masters. Built in the 14th century, it will astonish you with its crenellated walls, massive towers and unmistakable medieval aura. Afterward, you will return to your awaiting ship.

Modifications based on current health and safety protocols may be applied to this shore excursion.

Thanks so much in advance for any replies.

All I could find at https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/my-trip/health-and-safety/health-and-safety-program.html

“Shore Excursions

We have redesigned our land program to monitor destinations for the prevalence of COVID-19 and further limit group sizes. Depending on conditions at the time of sailing, shore excursions may be limited while in port.”

I expect this is what tellus@vikingcruises.com may tell you until it gets closer to the cruise. But worth a try to email them to find out what they are saying right now.

Edited by LindaS272

Thanks Linda!  Neither of us have ever been to Greece and this could be a deciding factor for us.  Luckily we have time to decide.  I'll be watching the startup Malta/Greece itineraries for more info.

To follow up on my original posting, I heard back from our Viking rep.  She said that current policy is the "bubble" through Sept 30.  With the caveat that anything could change at any time.  And of course much is dependent on your destination.

19 minutes ago, Maggers said:

Thanks Linda!  Neither of us have ever been to Greece and this could be a deciding factor for us.  Luckily we have time to decide.  I'll be watching the startup Malta/Greece itineraries for more info.

Good luck. We have only done land tours in Greece (three, over the years), but have toyed with the idea of creating a three week trip by doing the first half land and second half cruise. Greece is recognizing CDC cards right now but maybe just moderate restrictions on travel (masking in some places, distancing, capacity limits, etc.)

• Like 1

Maggers,

We are also on the Greek Odyssey leaving Athens on October 1st and booked the four night pre-cruise extension in Athens.  Our DV cabin level shows some excursions but we cannot yet book.  We are a group of six and following this thread as well.  One couple is also from AZ.  We always enjoy exploring the ports after the excursions end and hope we will be able to in October. 

3 hours ago, TDD2000 said:

Maggers,

We are also on the Greek Odyssey leaving Athens on October 1st and booked the four night pre-cruise extension in Athens.  Our DV cabin level shows some excursions but we cannot yet book.  We are a group of six and following this thread as well.  One couple is also from AZ.  We always enjoy exploring the ports after the excursions end and hope we will be able to in October. 

I hope so as well.  We are doing the two night pre-cruise extension.  Fingers crossed.  

9 hours ago, Maggers said:

Hi all.  I hope I'm not repeating a thread or have missed something obvious.  We are booked on the Greek Odyssey itinerary leaving Athens on Oct 1.  Our shore excursions recently opened up and we are busy booking and researching.  I've noticed that no excursions end with language stating that you can spend time on your own.  In many ports there are only morning excursions which would leave the rest of the day on the ship if we're not allowed to venture off on our own.  Is there any way to tell at this point if we'll be allowed to explore independently?  Not sure how to find this out. Or if there is an answer available now.

An example of excursion description:

Rhodes Town Walk & Palace of the Grand Masters

INCLUDED

Day 9 – Rhodes, Greece

Thursday, October 7

8:30 AM / 9:30 AM / VIEW ALL

2.5 Hours

MODERATE

UNESCO

SIGHTSEEING

Get an excellent overview of the Old Town of Rhodes, Europe’s largest active medieval town. You will enjoy a walking tour of this UNESCO World Heritage Site. Meet your guide at our berth and walk the short distance to the city walls, passing through the imposing gate to explore the atmospheric cobblestone streets. First, head to the Street of the Knights, a narrow byway with medieval structures rising on either side. You will pass colorful shops and the 15th-century Hospital of the Knights, now home to a splendid archaeological museum. This historic lane ends at the most colossal building of medieval Rhodes, the Palace of the Grand Masters. Built in the 14th century, it will astonish you with its crenellated walls, massive towers and unmistakable medieval aura. Afterward, you will return to your awaiting ship.

Modifications based on current health and safety protocols may be applied to this shore excursion.

Thanks so much in advance for any replies.

Nobody really knows at this point I’d guess.

not sure if it’s the same, but many of the excursions on the Malta/Croatia trip say morning, but some are actually offered in the afternoon. We were able to book the included tour and a paid excursion each day so pretty much busy all day. I imagine you can go back on ship, regroup, eat, cool off and then get off again for your next excursion.

The Rhodes excursion above is the included one. We went to Rhodes in 2019 as part of our Viking trip which stopped in the Holy Land. 
The Rhodes tour was fine-and at the end they let you go to wander around and make your way back to the ship.

adding all the paid excursions definitely adds a lot to cost of trip, but I guess that’s the trade off. 
Like I said nobody knows at this point-look at all the problems with these Malta cruises which I’m sure Viking didn’t anticipate. So I’d say you have to be okay with the Viking bubble and then if there are less restrictions it will be a pleasant surprise!!!