Is it true that they do not wash the bedspreads after each occupant?

What was the coke trick. I guess I missed that one. I also scream at my kids and my husband to get off the bedspread and I pull it down. They now remember after years of screaming. I like your toxic waste line.

An earlier poster, uh, 'suggested' you could 'spill' a coke on the spread and it would be cleaned...;) ;) ;)

I have come to the conclusion that - everywhere I go, everthing I touch, the air we breath has some sort of germ floating in, around or on. So, having survived so far and, hopefully, my body is developing antibodies to combat all those miserable little germs, I see no reason to become paranoid.

We all could end up like that millionaire, Howard Hughes - except without the millions.:rolleyes:

So, having survived so far and, hopefully, my body is developing antibodies to combat all those miserable little germs, I see no reason to become paranoid.
I think for my health's sake I need to cruise more often, to build more antibodies. Do you think my HMO would cover it?

Sorry if it's a stupid question, but this just told to me and now I'm really grossed out. Is there anyone that can confirm or deny this?

Are you grossed out about going to hotels? Even 5 star hotels don't wash the bedspreads between every guest. When I have guests in my home, I always wash the sheets after they leave, but I don't send the bedspread to the cleaners each time. Do you?

As to this thread in general, I am kind of amazed at how worried people are about germs. As a nurse I am well aware of the negative effects of them, as I see evidence of it daily. But it seems like our society is getting way worried about every possible threat to our health/safety. It seems like a culture of fear we live in now.

I do what I can to avoid coming in contact with germs, but really, at some point you just have to have faith you'll survive. When I learned about the body's natural defenses, it renewed my belief in a supreme being. It's just so ingenious how it all works (most of the time). Why worry about something you ultimately have very little control of? You can lysol your room to death, but the minute you walk out into society you touch a handrail, an elevator button, a door handle, or a human being's hand, and you are right back to square zero.

Ironically It's not really the germs I am worried about. I am not worried i will get sick or anything like that. I just do not want to sit where man has come before. If you catch my drift. it is just a big skeeeeeeeeeeve factor.

After reading a thread about how a couple spent 4 days in their cabin throwing up all over the place, and having diarrhea due to norovirus, I took lysol wipes on my last cruise and wiped down every surface in the cabin first thing!! Don't want to spend my cruise like this, and can't really assume it was cleaned that thoroughly. I doubt the bedspreads are really that dangerous, just gross!

Keep in mind that only a small percentage of germs are disease-causing. Out of that, only a small percentage can live outside the body for more than a few seconds.

You should be more concerned about the hand railings and door handles than about the bedspread in your room.

But if the idea of "secretions" grosses you out, then ask for it to be laundered.

D.

I just came off a competitors "wink, wink" ship and our cabin was nasty. The toilet had a skid mark. If you looked down at the carpet it was dirty. Not dirty with stains but lack of vacuming. The bathroom shelves were sticky with hairspay. My pillow case smelled like it hadn't been changed. The phone had makeup all over it. I am easily put off I guess, but it's way worse when the cabin wasn't cleaned at all before we got on. I used to work at a hotel as a housekeeper when I was in my early twenties. They would get mad at me because it would take me so long to clean one room. I know for a fact that the fast girls didn't change the sheets after a guest checked out. They would pull the sheets tight,tuck them in and that was it. Most guest didn't catch on. Knowing that they did that I always pull back the bedspread and look for hair from the head and neither regions. I like the idea a poster had about bringing lysol wipes.

I just came off a competitors "wink, wink" ship and our cabin was nasty. The toilet had a skid mark. If you looked down at the carpet it was dirty. Not dirty with stains but lack of vacuming. The bathroom shelves were sticky with hairspay. My pillow case smelled like it hadn't been changed. The phone had makeup all over it. I am easily put off I guess, but it's way worse when the cabin wasn't cleaned at all before we got on. I used to work at a hotel as a housekeeper when I was in my early twenties. They would get mad at me because it would take me so long to clean one room. I know for a fact that the fast girls didn't change the sheets after a guest checked out. They would pull the sheets tight,tuck them in and that was it. Most guest didn't catch on. Knowing that they did that I always pull back the bedspread and look for hair from the head and neither regions. I like the idea a poster had about bringing lysol wipes.

I would have had the head of housekeeping in that stateroom ASAP and then demanded to be moved elsewhere if the problem wasnt resolved. YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't get the germ paranoia these days. We have a guy in our church who works for a germ lotion manufacturing plant and he is always regaling us with stories of germs and other nasties. I suspect he thinks he's entertaining. Truthfully I just cannot go through life that paranoid. If food drops on the floor in the house and the kids pick it right up to eat it I cannot freak. I would be riding herd all day with no rest if I did.

While I do not go out of my way to expose the boys to germs I also don't take extreme measures to avoid them either. Yes, of course, during cold and flu season we wash hands, a lot but other than that there are other things I worry about. Between the bus driver that belittles my son who has a hearing problem (yes I am all over that like a germ on a bedspread) to my eldest telling my middle son that he should, "be my slave and bring me whatever I want cause I am oldest" (boy is he about to have a tough weekend. I envision a slave for a couple days) there are too many other things on the board. KWIM?

I think (for me anyway) its not so much the 'germs' as the ...uh..."things" the UV lights showed:eek: ...sorry, but, that is just ickky to me. ;)
Just be happy you don't own a UV light!:D You'd never sleep!

If food drops on the floor in the house and the kids pick it right up to eat it I cannot freak.

Hey... 5, er, I mean 10 second rule!

I would have had the head of housekeeping in that stateroom ASAP and then demanded to be moved elsewhere if the problem wasnt resolved. YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't say anything because I'm paranoid that if I do I they might do something to retaliate like use my toothbrush on the toilet or rub there butt over my pillow. Perhaps use spit and dirty rag to get the dust out of glasses. I have an active imagination as you can tell. But I think if I could think of it so will someone else so I just grin and bare it. Same with meals when I dine out. My husband says don't dend it back unless you want a luggy in it.

What was the coke trick. I guess I missed that one. I also scream at my kids and my husband to get off the bedspread and I pull it down. They now remember after years of screaming. I like your toxic waste line.

I believe the coke trick is referring to spilling your coke on the bedspread so they will wash it.

Yes they do wash the bedspreads after each change of passengers...I know that some ships keep the extra bedspreads under the bed, toward the top...for convenence in case they have to reconfiguer the beds or if there is a spill. However many hotel chanes do not change those bedspreads so beware.:eek:

Yes they do wash the bedspreads after each change of passengers...I know that some ships keep the extra bedspreads under the bed, toward the top...for convenence in case they have to reconfiguer the beds or if there is a spill. However many hotel chanes do not change those bedspreads so beware.:eek:

Do you any basis for this? What makes you think cruise ships change the spreads but hotels do not?

D.

Yes, I plan to tell myself this too when I check in--so I can get a good night's sleep ....

....they DO wash the bedspreads they DO wash the bedspreads they DO wash the bedspreads...speechless-smiley-023.gif

I have worked at the front desk of a Hampton Inn for 10 years and I can emphatically say that the spreads are not changed when a guest checks out. They are laundered maybe once a month at best. Until now......

The Hampton Inn's now have new bedding where there is a duvet cover over the blanket insert and that cover is now laundered after every check out. The guest does not touch the blanket - only the cover.

It makes double the work for our housekeepers but much better for the guest.

Mindy

Do you any basis for this? What makes you think cruise ships change the spreads but hotels do not?

D.

You posted on my thread today and kind of give off a cantankorous vibe. You also seem annoyed at posts that frankly aren't annoying.

I originally posted this thread and thanks for all of the input! I was truly amazed to find out bedspreads are not washed! When I have company I usually wash the comforter along with all the bedding before and after they stay. It also depends who it is: my mom, nah, my brother in law and his wife, yes, who knows what they did in that bed. But anyway, I am a medical professional and I know about bacteria and germs etc..., as one post mentioned already, they are everywhere, if you go in public you will be exposed, germs are not the issue to me. Cleanliness is. I like things clean and fresh and smelling good. Who wants to sleep in a bed with a blanket that has been used multiple times, sweated on, ate on, sat naked on, and who knows what else. I personally do not think it would be too uneconomical to wash them after each use. They are thin anyway, it's not like they are thick and heavy. Now that I know how it's done, I just won't use them and I'll throw them in the closet first thing... I doubt they'll ever change it.

Archived